Meringue Powder Instead Of Egg Whites?

Baking By DSmo Updated 11 Dec 2011 , 6:23pm by imagenthatnj

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 11:59am
post #1 of 10

I've tried using meringue powder instead of eggs whites in some recent white cakes. It seemed to work well, but when I used it in cupcakes they cracked when filling.

Anyone else experience similar (or better or worse) results? Is it possible to improve the outcome, or is this just a case of "it is what it is"?

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 10

I have not used that exchange that I can remember but my thought is you overbaked the cuppies. They are very time sensitive so it's easy to over bake them.

DSmo Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 2:36am
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the reply, but no, definitely not overbaked. I'm guessing because the meringue powder contains more than just egg whites it does something to the texture to make it more fragile. I suppose I need to stick to separating eggs... I just hate wasting the yokes.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 3:00am
post #4 of 10

Just curious, but what is the benefit of meringue powder in cake recipes? I've never heard of it and don't think I've even seen a recipe calling for it. Just curious...

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 3:32am
post #5 of 10

I would think that you would need to substitute some liquid for the missing egg white. That might help the texture and the baking time.

DSmo Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 11:08am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

Just curious, but what is the benefit of meringue powder in cake recipes? I've never heard of it and don't think I've even seen a recipe calling for it. Just curious...

It wasn't an addition, so no benefit that way. I substituted it for the egg white. The canister says it can be a substitute for egg whites in baking, so I thought I'd give it a try. Less mess and less waste than separating eggs.

DSmo Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 11:10am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing12

I would think that you would need to substitute some liquid for the missing egg white. That might help the texture and the baking time.

You do add liquid. Two teaspoons meringue powder plus two tablespoons water equals one egg white (according to the container).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 10

......because the meringue powder contains more than just egg whites it does something to the texture to make it more fragile.........
Yesicon_smile.gif I had thought of that before typing but the info didn't stay in my mind icon_sad.gif

cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 10

I believe most grocery stores sell liquid pasturized egg whites in a carton (like a milk carton) in the dairy aisle. I've never used them but they might be a good alternative if you don't want to waste all those yolks. HTH

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 10

You could try real egg whites in powder. There's a difference. You reconstitute those. I've heard people use the powdered egg whites even in IMBC. That's why I got them. For the next experiment with those.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00168637Y/?tag=cakecentral-20

There's also the liquid pasteurized egg whites. I use those for IMBC because I'm always making it for children's cupcakes and although a lot of people are not afraid of non-pasteurized egg whites, I don't like the thought of anything going wrong. The carton says not to use it for meringues, but I have had and it still works. For baking, there's no problem.

http://www.grocerycouponnetwork.com/foodproducts/products.php?Id=15666

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%