For Those Who Freeze Cakes...

Decorating By tsal Updated 23 Nov 2011 , 2:20pm by kakeladi

tsal Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 11

How do you thaw them?

I'm planning to bake Wednesday and freeze, remove from the freezer Thursday and crumbcoat with a crusting bc.

Then what do I do? Place it in the fridge to thaw? Do I have to wait until it has thawed fully before putting on the final coat of icing?

10 replies
chelleb1974 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 11

When I freeze cakes, I wrap them in two layers of saran wrap and then a layer of foil. I take them out a day early and let them thaw on the counter. Once thawed I removed the foil and saran wrap underneath.

For keeping the cake overnight, I usually just wrap the slightly warm cake in two layers of saran wrap and let it sit out until the next day - I don't normally freeze a cake just for overnight.

Hope that helps some!

Oh, I always wait until it is completely thawed before crumb coating or icing it.

Lemmers Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 11

Agreed on thawing ont he counter, wrapped.

And I also wait until completely thawed befor final decorations as I forgot once and the fondant became somewhat soggy and damp for a while which scared the life out of me! ha ha!

cakelady2266 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 11

I take mine straight from the freezer and ice frozen. I decorate the cakes after they have completely thawed. You can poke a hole through the cake in the top center to avoid icing "farts."

Claire138 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 11

I cut the cake into what ever shape or even just to even the edges or slice of the top while frozen as it's just the easiest way for me to do it esp for chocolate cake which I find to be can be very crumbly if cut while warm. I then cover it in bc or ganache and wait a few hours until completely thawed and then cover in fondant.

tsal Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 11

Claire138: do you let it thaw in the fridge though or on the counter once crumbcoated?

heartsnsync Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 11

When I do freeze layers I defrost them on the counter until they come to room temperature. For instance, if I am going to frost them first thing the next morning I take them out right before I go to bed leaving them wrapped as they had been in the freezer. If the cakes need leveling then as the other poster said it is best to do this before they defrost all the way. I just re-wrap them after leveling and then wait for them to come to room temperature. I have yet to have a blow out using this method...knock on wood! icon_biggrin.gif

suzylynn58 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 12:49am
post #8 of 11

I freeze almost all my cakes wrapped in Saran. I usually bake on Monday or Tuesday for the weekend. For Saturday cakes, I take the cake out on Thurs night, dam, fill and stack and re-wrap in Saran. I let them thaw at room temp and decorate on Friday.

Claire138 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 7:18am
post #9 of 11

I let it thaw once covered in ganache or bc just sitting out. HTH

AnnieCahill Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 11:55am
post #10 of 11

I wrap twice in plastic wrap and once in foil.

I thaw wrapped on the counter so condensation collects on the wrapper, not on the cake!

I level and ice when the cake is completely at room temperature. If you ice a cold cake, especially with a meringue buttercream, that can drastically affect the icing's workability.

kakeladi Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 2:20pm
post #11 of 11

.......I plan to bake Wednesday ...freeze, remove Thursday... crumbcoat ...then what do I do? Do I have to wait until it has thawed fully before putting on the final coat of icing?
For overnight freezing all one needs to do is put the cake in a plastic bag or wrap in saran. No need to dbl or triple wrap, then foil wrap etc. Now if you are going to leave the cake in the fzr for a week that might be helpful but I have also left cakes just in a plastic bag for that long w/o it becoming dry a bit icon_smile.gif
Like another poster said, when ready to thaw I take it out to the counter just before going to bed so it is ready to work on in the a.m. It is NOT recommended you ice - even curmb coat - while fzn. And NO do not put the crumbed cake in the frig. It should be ready to finish icing within 30 minutes -even as little as 5 minutes w/the right icing! Even if you don't plan on finishing the cake until the next day it will be just fine on the counter w/just the crumb coat. Remember what the purpose of a crumbcoat is: to *seal* in the crumbs and moisture. So once crumbed it is perfectly fine just sitting out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%