What Kind Of Frosting Should I Use For An Apple Pie Cupcake?

Baking By sweettreat101 Updated 21 Nov 2011 , 8:44pm by BeccaW40

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 4:30am
post #1 of 12

I have an order for a variety of cupcake flavors. She wants red velvet and told me I can pick the rest. I was planning on making the apple pie cupcake I found on CC but not sure what kind of frosting would compliment the flavor. Also does anyone have any idea of a decoration to decorate the top? I want to have each flavor with a distinct decoration so people and tell the difference between each flavor.

11 replies
Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 4:51am
post #2 of 12

cinnamon cream cheese?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 4:53am
post #3 of 12

caramel smbc

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 5:36am
post #4 of 12

buttercream with some cinnamon mixed in would be nice.

Here's a wonderful frosting I've used with salty caramel cupcakes. (I'll just omit the salt.)
Non-crusting Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe makes enough to generously frost 24 cupcakes):

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at ROOM TEMPERATURE
8 ounces of cream cheese, at ROOM TEMPERATURE
1 cup of caramel ice cream topping
6 cups of sifted powdered sugar

Beat butter and cream cheese well. Add caramel and mix until well combined. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until smooth.

---------------

As far as decorations, if this is for fall, you could make a variety of autumn fondant leaves and use a different color for each flavor. Here's an example:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1498271

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 7:58am
post #5 of 12

i made some not long ago, i did a cinnamon cupcake, with an apple filling, then it had whipped cream on top.. topped with a circle of latticed puff pastry that i had baked before hand. =) otherwise, id go with a cinnamon buttercream, drizzled with caramel.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 12

I just made some apple pie cupcakes this weekend. I ended up purchasing Caramel Dip for apples and put some of that into my regualr buttercream. I was planning on making my own caramel to mix in, but was feeling lazy in the store, lol.

~Chelle

mbr130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbr130 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 12

I just did apple cupcakes this weekend and used caramel buttercream...was a big hit!

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 12

I agree with the caramel buttercream. Another easy way to mak it is to use flavored syrup.

I have some Torani caramel flavored syrup....the kind you put in coffee. I ad some in for liquid when making buttercream.

It also works well brushed on top of cakes or cupcakes to add flavor and moisture.

ButRCream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButRCream Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 12

I vote Caramel Swiss Meringue Buttercream icon_smile.gif Just make traditional Swiss meringue, then mix in some caramel sauce at the end! Mmm...!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 12

I have never made Swiss Meringue frosting. What is the difference between Swiss Meringue and a regular butter cream?

ButRCream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButRCream Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 12

It's a lot less sweet and sugary - very creamy and buttery smooth - pipes beautifully for cupcakes! Take a look at my photos - the pink polka dot topper cupcakes used Swiss Meringue. You basically cook egg whites and granulated sugar and whip, then add butter. I've posted my fav basic vanilla swiss meringue buttercream if you'd like to give it a go - it's a nice change from the traditional "american" buttercream icon_smile.gif

BeccaW40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeccaW40 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 12

You could hand make little apples in red and green and use them as toppers, I just recently made 3 fall cakes for a fund-raiser, and the apple basket was a huge hit!!! I hand painted them with food coloring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%