Dry Goods Storage Suggestions?

Decorating By SammieB Updated 21 Nov 2011 , 5:02pm by leah_s

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 1:50am
post #1 of 6

So all you people who buy in bulk, particularly home bakers, where do you put your stuff? Obviously a 50lb bag of flour won't fit in my kitchen cabinet, but I'm tired of spending too much at the grocery story when I get over twice as much for the same price in bulk.

I have a closet in my hallway I've made into my cake closet, but I want to find some airtight containers for my dry goods that are big enough to hold it.

I've also got a stand alone freezer and have read before that some people will freeze their flour?

I want to get some ideas to throw on my Xmas list?

5 replies
chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 6

Most restaurant/bakery supply stores sell large airtight containers for flour, sugar, etc.... Maybe look and see if there's one in your area you could go in and see what they have.

~Chelle

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 6

We use CamSquares, a 50# bag of flour will fit in two large containers. You can buy them online or at restaurant supply stores.

http://cool.cambro.com/CamSquares_Poly_CamSquare_Storage_Containers_and_Lids_Storage.ashx

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 6

Speaking of Christmas, I have a large Xmas tree strorage container that I use to store dry goods. I think it would be large enough to store a 50lb bag of flour. It's large enough to store a 7ft tree and some decorations. I think hubby got it from K-mart.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 6

A container meant to store non-food items may not be made with food-grade plastic, so you'll want to check with the manufacturer of the container before you use it store anything edible.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 6

You can leave the flour in the bag, and put the bag in the storage container. I had our carpenter build a "window seat" (but there's no window). It's lines in the white paneling that youuse for shower enclousures, so it's very scrubbable. The lid/seat lifts up and all my 50# bags of flour and cocoa are stored there. Also smaller bags of sugar and flour. It's great and provides additional seating in my kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%