Cake Batter In Advance?

Baking By MedicBaby21 Updated 20 Nov 2011 , 8:39pm by ajwonka

MedicBaby21 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering is it ok to make cake batter 2-3 days in advance and store in fridge? I am using the boxed cake with pudding and sour cream recipe....

3 replies
ickworthpark Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 4

I'm not an expert and have never used a box mix, but usually once you add liquid to the cake mix it activates the raising agent. Leaving it to sit for a few days will probably mean you won't get much of a rise or possibly none at all.

kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 4

Some have said they do it w/o problems but my experience is that once it sits in the frig or fzr even as much as 1 hour the cake does not rise properly.
Remember the levening process starts as soon as the cake is mixed.
In the past I have had reasons to keep some batter but I always put it in the cake pan so what rising of the batter that does happen will not be disturbed. That seemed to work but I only had to keep it an hour while other cakes baked.
As I have said, some advise they freeze batter.
You will have to be the judge as to which way you want to go.
I'm just not understanding the reason why you think it needs to be done. Mixing batter from a mix only takes 5 minutes. Is a compromise of your cake worth saving that little time?

ajwonka Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 4

I've added a bit of frozen (& thawed) batter to a full batch of fresh without problems but have no luck with even half fresh & half "old". If you absolutely have to make it ahead of time, go ahead and bake the cake a few days early, wrap well, & freeze!

Quote by @%username% on %date%