Starting Cake Decorating

Decorating By Kalilah Updated 22 Nov 2011 , 12:47pm by Kalilah

Kalilah Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hey, everyone icon_smile.gif

I recently started decorating cupcakes for a college fayre, I'm now totally obsessed and want to learn how to make professional-looking cakes.

I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions?

What type of icing do I need to mould shapes and where is the best place to buy it?

Is there any tools I need that are absolutely essential for cake decorating?

How to I colour icing without making it all sticky (have been using liquid food dye)?

Is there any youtube videos that can teach me about cake decorating?

And finally, what books can I get that will be useful?

5 replies
Cupcations Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalilah

Hey, everyone icon_smile.gif

I recently started decorating cupcakes for a college fayre, I'm now totally obsessed and want to learn how to make professional-looking cakes.

I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions?

What type of icing do I need to mould shapes and where is the best place to buy it? I think by icing you mean fondant or gumpaste, you can either make it or buy it from local stores such as Micheals, or online from websites such as Global Sugar Art, Icing Inspiration, Goldas Kitchen, Flour Confections, etc

Is there any tools I need that are absolutely essential for cake decorating? Shopping for cake decorating supplies is like shopping for clothes, its never enough thumbs_up.gif you will always find somthing new, I think the essentials should be rolling pin, food coloring(gels), Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set, if you are working with icing you will be needing piping bags & tips, flower plungers/cutters, baking pans, etc.

How to I colour icing without making it all sticky (have been using liquid food dye)? You should start using food gels not liquids Americolor is my favorite, gels will help maintain the fondant's consistency.

Is there any youtube videos that can teach me about cake decorating? There are hundreds of cake decorating videos on youtube all you have to do is type what you want in the search engine & voila! Here are some videos posted in well knows threads here on CC

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654803.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654103.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-672099.html

And finally, what books can I get that will be useful? Lol not sure about this one im an internet person :D

HTH

tracycakes Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 6

I advise you to spend some time reading this website. There is so much information that actually answers pretty much all of your questions. Yes, it will take a while but there is much information available already.

bakingatthebeach Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 6

Just type in your questions at youtube and you will find tons of videos on cake decorating.
As above, read this site, especially the How To forum.
Use fondant or gumpaste for figures and molding
Use color gels (wilton, americolor) for coloring, not liquid color.
Have fun!!!

kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 6

.......What type of icing do I need to mould shapes and where is the best place to buy it?.....

This depends on where you live. From you spelling of the word *colour* I take it you are not in the U.S. so many of us cannot help you find the places in your area.

..........Is there any tools I need that are absolutely essential for cake decorating?......
Many, many of them!! icon_smile.gif It depends on the type of icing and decorations you expect to do.

........How to I colour icing without making it all sticky (have been using liquid food dye)?.......
Others have already answered this. Again, depending on where you are brands will vary.

.......Is there any youtube videos that can teach me about cake decorating?.......
Thousands of them!

..........what books can I get that will be useful?..........
Oh so many icon_smile.gif Check out Amazon.com Also look in your local phone book for cake supply stores.

Kalilah Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks to everye who answered the questions it was a great help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%