Half-Circle Ruffle Technique??

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 20 Nov 2011 , 9:20pm by LKing12

forheavenscake Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 5

I would like to make a fall cake with this technique shown in the picture. . .except using fall colors of course.

Does anyone know if there are any tutorials anywhere. .I've googled but have had no luck. Or does anyone know how to achieve this look and what tip to use?

My cake will only be an 8" cake (not tiered) but I still think it will look nice. Thoughts? here is the link.


4 replies
tiggy2 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 5

Since it's done in BC I'm guessing they used a rose tip 103 or 104. The description says they traced half circles on the cake for a guide.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 5

That's not actually a traditional "ruffle". It's individual petals piped in a fan shape. The one pictured looks like it may have been done with a rose tip, but you could use any curved tip that gives you the look you want. I'd experiment with various tips. I think it would look great done in a leaf tip, but that's just me.

forheavenscake Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 5

cakeyouverymuch. . I love that idea! Thanks!

LKing12 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 5

I saw this technique on theKnot and thought that I would use it for my parent's 60th Wedding Anniversary cake next Sunday. I was going to experiment, but if someone knows how that would be perfect!

Quote by @%username% on %date%