Chocolate Shell For Ornament Cupcakes???

Baking By therese379 Updated 21 Nov 2011 , 5:11am by armywife1

therese379 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 12:18am
post #1 of 13

Does anyone know if you can use a plastic 2pc ball, used for ornaments, can be bought at Michael's.... to use for the round part of the ornament in a christmas ornament cupcake.... hope I did not confuse you... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

12 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 12:34am
post #2 of 13

I know exactly what you are talking about and I think it would work perfect...I even thought of that....

armywife1 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 1:11am
post #3 of 13

Cake decorator, Tami Utley, has a tutorial on making chocolate ball ornaments using that same plastic ball from Michael's. I definitely want one to try it.

Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 1:14am
post #4 of 13

Does she have a website or link??

armywife1 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 2:24am
post #5 of 13

Yes! It's sugarartbytami.com. Click on tutorials and you can see how to make these and the gelatin bubbles. I just tried the bubbles a couple of days ago. I need more practice, but this tutorial was SO helpful!

Apti Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 3:14am
post #6 of 13

Thanks, armywife!

armywife1 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 13

You're very welcome! icon_smile.gif

funtodecorate2 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for that website. It is awesome.
Question though, Since it's chocolate can people eat them? And even with the luster dust on them? Or are they just for show?
thanks.

shuswapcakes Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 13

Those look awsome! I wonder if you could seperate them so you just have one half and place it overtop of a cupcake, and then decorate so then you would have a cupcake ornament?? Thanks for the link!

armywife1 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 13

Maybe you could heat a metal spatula and 'cut' through the ball to split it into two pieces. This way you could get two ornament cupcakes with one chocolate ball. Now I'm wanting to drive 30 minutes to Micheal's and try it. icon_lol.gif

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 12:22am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife1

Maybe you could heat a metal spatula and 'cut' through the ball to split it into two pieces. This way you could get two ornament cupcakes with one chocolate ball. Now I'm wanting to drive 30 minutes to Micheal's and try it. icon_lol.gif

Couldn't you just not put the halves together? Just put chocolate in one half and move it around to coat the inside instead of putting them together and coating the whole thing. Then you don't have to worry about trying to cut it in half after you've made the entire ball.

shuswapcakes Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 12:31am
post #12 of 13

I think I'm going to try and put chocolate in just one of them and see how it goes, if that doesn't work I will try the other method of cutting the whole chocolate ball in half! I was thinking of also trying white chocolate and doing a "winter scene" on it?? I'm so anxious to see how this turns out!
Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

armywife1 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 5:11am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuswapcakes

I think I'm going to try and put chocolate in just one of them and see how it goes, if that doesn't work I will try the other method of cutting the whole chocolate ball in half! I was thinking of also trying white chocolate and doing a "winter scene" on it?? I'm so anxious to see how this turns out!
Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

Oooh, please post a picture on this forum when you do! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%