Wax Candle Tutorial?

Decorating By AMOVERBY Updated 25 Nov 2011 , 9:26am by scp1127

AMOVERBY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMOVERBY Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know if there is a tutuorial for those "wax candle" looking cakes? I'm wanting to try some for upcoming holiday cakes and I'm sure I could wing it, but all the cakes I've seen are beautiful and I'd like to acheive the same "real" look icon_smile.gif

9 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 10

For this candle cake I used 3 eight inch rounds. I filled, stacked and coated with buttercream, and covered with fondant as usual. Then I made a white chocolate ganache and drizzled it on the top while it was still quite runny. I allowed that to harden a bit and drizzled more ganache around the edges and let it run down. I again allowed that to harden and repeated till it looked like wax running down the sides. Once the ganache was completely set up I took a round cutter and cut out three spots for the candles to sit. I made sure the plastic cups that the candles were in sat a little higher than the ganache so that the wax wouldn't get on the cake.

You can let your imagination rein free on this one if you remember two things. First, make sure your candles are unscented because the scented ones will affect the flavor of your cake. Second, make sure that your candles are isolated from the cake by using the ones that come in the little plastic cups. I wouldn't use the metal ones, but that's just me. You could also use those little led candles that they sell at the $ store, but the real candles look so much nicer.

I used the candle as a centerpiece for Christmas dinner and my guests didn't believe it was cake till it was cut.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1947491

more photos here:

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2010/12/un-gateau-pour-allumer-votre-occasion.html

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 10

Duff made one its on duff.com

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 10

go to cakes with l.o.v.e. facebook page. they have a tutorial on there

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyladylibra

go to cakes with l.o.v.e. facebook page. they have a tutorial on there

I looked all over her FB page and didn't see it. Where is it located?

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 24 Nov 2011 , 7:07am
post #6 of 10

So Sorry Im just seeing this Ill post here but ill also email you the link hope Im not too late

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150302253883977.333173.116951188976&type=1

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Nov 2011 , 8:12am
post #7 of 10

cakeyouverymuch, I was just on your site and I so enjoyed reading your site in French. I can't speak it well anymore, but I can still read it. And your cake is beautiful.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 24 Nov 2011 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

cakeyouverymuch, I was just on your site and I so enjoyed reading your site in French. I can't speak it well anymore, but I can still read it. And your cake is beautiful.

Thank you for your kind words. We are in the process of moving from Quebec to Manitoba and in a month or so I'll be starting a new blog in English which is my first language and the one I am most comfortable in. I spend hours translating the simplest sentences into French but my husbands family appreciates it. I don't know if I'll keep up the French blog or if I'll just link the two after the move. Cake by itself is a sort of universal language. lol

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 24 Nov 2011 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 10

icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 9:26am
post #10 of 10

French is my heritage from my great grandmother. I took five years of it, French National Honor Society and all. My daughter will have five years also. It's a shame that lack of use has caused me to forget so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%