Glass For Bottom Of Cake?

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 19 Nov 2011 , 5:28am by step0nmi

step0nmi Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 2:08am
post #1 of 4

I have a friend that wants to get the look of the vases with lights in them holding up the cake, with a glass piece on the bottom. I am thinking I may need at least a 12" or 14" piece! Is it glass that these cakes use? where to get them? is it expensive?

TIA icon_lol.gif

3 replies
Jenise Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 3:45am
post #2 of 4

Because my husband owns a glass company, I use glass all the time for the bases of my cakes. Depending on the size of your cake (# of teirs) you can safely put most cakes on 1/4" glass. Call your local glass company and tell them the size you want, expect to pay anywhere between 5-8 dollars a square foot with a seamed edge. If you get any special edging, it will be extra and most people won't be looking at that. hth

cheatize Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 3:59am
post #3 of 4

Check thrift store for old microwave turntables. I've picked up several in both square and round shapes.

step0nmi Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 5:28am
post #4 of 4

thanks Janise! you make it sound like it won't be that expensive...which is good. the cake will obviously have some more support under it because there will be 4 glass vases holding the cake up as well.

cheatize, i don't think i want to use something like that for a wedding cake...but thanks for the suggestion

Quote by @%username% on %date%