Ribbon Placement

Decorating By Pattycakes80 Updated 4 Dec 2011 , 4:49pm by DanishPastry

Pattycakes80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pattycakes80 Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 12:59am
post #1 of 2

HI allicon_smile.gif

I am doing a chocolate panel wedding cake next week and was just wondering if anyone can give me some ideas on how to put the ribbon on.

The panels are white and were going to have milk choc swirls on them, but they have all turned a terrible white colour. So we have decided to get a very thin ribbon and wrap it around each tier a few times. YOu know how you see cakes that have the thin ribbon and its crossed over and wonky looking? I hope that makes sense, just hoping there is a certain way that this can be done or if its just a case of place it on and hope it stays.

Thanks allicon_smile.gif

1 reply
DanishPastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanishPastry Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 2

I'm not an expert on this, but did a wedding cake for my cousin's daughter where I wrapped thin blue ribbon around the cake. I used crusting buttercream and waited to wrap the ribbon until after the cake crusted, at which point I had some difficulty keeping the ribbon in place as I wrapped, as it wanted to slide. I had purchased some blue pearl-tipped pins to place at the intersection of the ribbons, so I used them to help hold the ribbon as I wrapped. A helper would probably have worked, too. However, I don't know if the ribbon would have stayed in place after removing the extra pins if I hadn't left the pins at the intersections. Because I cut the cake, too, I knew to remove all the pins and ribbon before cutting a layer.

I used wide ribbons on my daughter's wedding cake and plan to do so for my next daughter's cake, if I make it. That way I had time to decorate the hall AND the cake during the day on Friday, leaving time to enjoy the rest of the wedding festivities.

Maybe someone else will comment and tell both of us a better way to wrap narrow ribbon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%