Altering Cookie Recipe To Make Cupcakes?

Baking By esangston Updated 21 Nov 2011 , 11:36pm by esangston

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 4

I'm on my last leg of time for a cupcake bouquet for my grandmothers 70th bday. She loves oatmeal cream pies and I found a couple of recipes for them as cupcakes, but they have all failed horribly... One had no flavor and I couldn't see how to alter it... Another never rose and was just flat dense mess in pretty cupcake liners. I need some help...

I found a cookie recipe for the exact cookies little Debbie uses to make oatmeal cream pies.... Is the any way I can alter it? I also found a recipe for oatmeal cupcakes, and the cupcakes have the same flour, oats etc, but they have like 2/3 cu of honey and 1 cu mashed banana... I can add my the extra flavors to the cupcake mix but I'm not sure what I can sub out for the honey and bananas... The oatmeal cream pies have molasses, but I can't put that much molasses in them...

So should I alter the cookie recipe with more eggs, butter and maybe some buttermilk? And add in the baking powder, soda and salt from the cupcake recipe? Or should I try to alter the cupcake recipe I found subbing out the honey and banana and if so, for what?

I've never really had to sub out these things so I'm at a loss... I've also never really made a cake that had to taste so much like something else so yeah... A lil help from those more experienced in cupcakes would be awesome!!

3 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 12:32am
post #2 of 4

Creating a cupcake that tastes like a Little Debbie oatmeal creme pie, is recipe development; and you will probably need several attempts before you find something you like. You can certainly start by comparing the cookie recipe with a cupcake recipe and use the cupcake proportions as a guide.

Have you considered baking plain cupcakes and decorating them with buttercream and then top with little wedges of the creme pies? Or cut pieces of the creme pies, place into your paper liners, then add cake batter and bake. (Not sure how that would work but might be worth a try.)

Anytime I hear about Little Debbie Creme Pies I remember back to when I worked there in R&D. You know what makes those cookies so soft and moist? Not baked. Raw inside. Shudder. I won't ruin your day with anymore insider info.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 1:03am
post #3 of 4

You could try 1/3 cup honey and 1/3 cup molsses (though I would just use all molasses to replace the honey myself) and replace the bananas with the same amount of unsweetened applesauce as that tends not to add a whole lot of flavor.

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 4

I played around with the recipe here and there... and got the texture right and got them to finally rise, but even with 3tbsp of molasses and almost 2 cups of sugar (2/3 granulated and 1c dark brown) the cupcakes still were kinda bland. I'm told its just me (minor surgery a few weeks ago has seem to kill some of my tastebuds) but everyone said it was awesome... but for my personal preference ill try again later on with more sugar and molasses... i guess maybe the oats (even tho i cooked them prior to adding) just soaked up all the sweet... Thanks for the comments...

I had to be careful what I did as they were for a cupcake bouquet so I didnt want anything in the bottom of the liner or on top. I just filled them with the cream from little debbie and used a marshmallow vanilla buttercream. but I think there is really something there, if i can just master it lol.

and really the trick is that they are raw...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%