When To Start Making Desserts For Thanksgiving???

Lounge By Danishwiz Updated 19 Nov 2011 , 1:27am by Danishwiz

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 5

So I was planning on making Cake Balls, Cookies and Pies for Thanksgiving. I told my husband I was going to make them on Sunday and he said that was too early.

Any thoughts?

When do you make your Thanksgiving desserts?

Thanks!

4 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 5

Your cookies you could make on the weekend. The cake balls, possibly. But when it comes to pies, I like to make them the day before if at all possible. It depends on whether they are a "wet" filling or not. Some pies improve with an overnight in the fridge, like pumpkin. Apple on the other hand, I find are best the day made, or the day before.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 5

I'm making a pumpkin roll this weekend that is going in the fridge until Wed. And I'm probably making the Chocolate Pie Wednesday.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of anything that is being served the first time that is already 4 to 5 days old. I know things can be good that long, but it feels to me like eating leftovers the first time around, if that makes any since.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 5

Im a huge fan of prepping as much as possible in advance. But, I like everything to be baked fresh at the last minute. You certainly can make your cookies and freeze them. Cookies freeze very well and thaw very quickly. Assuming you are making your own pie crust, you could also make your pie dough and place it in the pie pan, place wax or parchment paper between and wrap well. You can roll top crust and place them on flat cookie sheet, place the wax paper or parchment between and wrap well with platic. On the day before or of Thanksgiving, remove the crust from the freezer approx. 15 min. Before. I actually prefer to use frozen crust for my pumpkin pies. If you are making an apple pie, you can peel the apples, add the spices and sugar, place it in a plastic bag and place in a pie pan, so that it is the shape of the pan. Then, just remove the pie crust and filling from the freezer and you.re almost done!

Happy Thanksgiving and especially happy baking!!!

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 1:27am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all the tips. I guess I will listen to the hubby and you all and wait a little longer to make everything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%