I Really Hate This

Decorating By KarolynAndrea Updated 21 Nov 2011 , 2:39am by aundrea

KarolynAndrea Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 23

I can't stand when people order a cake and give 10 random things that they want on it...."Well, he plays soccer, drinks beer, loves his Mustang, has 3 kids, is a roofer, was in the Army, and loves to sing karaoke on the weekends." Really?!? None of that goes together and that cake would look stupid. I want to avoid doing them at all costs!

22 replies
Panel7124 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 23

At least you can choose something - pick up 2 - 3 things.

'I need a cake for twin brothers and their sister, they will be 50 (twins) and 40. It has to be one cake. 16 servings. icon_eek.gif . What do you advice?'

'Ask another baker!' thumbsdown.gif

carmijok Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 23

I know what you mean. I'm doing a cake this weekend for someone who is turning 40 on the day he runs his first marathon. His wife gave me a list of things he loves or has done and the way I THINK I've solved it is to do a spiral cake that is decorated like a highway that has different signposts along the way showing his life happenings as it goes up to the top where I'll have a figure of him (yikes..that's another story) by the Route 66 Marathon logo...(which will show Route 40 instead). Whew! Lots of gum paste and fondant work to do. Now if I can only get up the nerve to get in there and do it!

tripleD Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 23

My favorite is... I need a special cake. They like yada yada yada. Name many different thing and then say. I only need it for 4 people and we don't like cake. icon_eek.gif

jamieq Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 23

right now, I am swmming in a sea of "how much would you charge me for a birthday cake..." nothing else. WELL, lemme grab my crystal ball and magically acquire exactly what you are thinking, and know precisely what size...

and then... they never directly answer the questions I email them back...

jenmat Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 23

LOL, one of the many, many reasons I am no longer offering little custom birthday cakes.

One thing I used to clarify with them when they did this to me- "ok, so you want ALL of this on a quarter sheet?!" with the tone that made it clear I thought they were nuts.
Usually they would say, "oh, no, I'm just giving you ideas to work with!"

Many people haven't ordered custom cakes before and they aren't sure what info they need to give so they just throw everything and the kitchen sink at you, to cover all their bases.

lovescakes Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieq

right now, I am swmming in a sea of "how much would you charge me for a birthday cake..." nothing else. WELL, lemme grab my crystal ball and magically acquire exactly what you are thinking, and know precisely what size...

and then... they never directly answer the questions I email them back...




icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I get that all the time!!

justkist Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

My favorite is... I need a special cake. They like yada yada yada. Name many different thing and then say. I only need it for 4 people and we don't like cake. icon_eek.gif




hahahah,. I love it... Ive had the same thing. I jsut need something small and simple to feed 6 people, Im thinking 3 tiers, with scuplted figurines and a 3-D Dog cake on the side... and the budget is $50

KarolynAndrea Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by justkist

hahahah,. I love it... Ive had the same thing. I jsut need something small and simple to feed 6 people, Im thinking 3 tiers, with scuplted figurines and a 3-D Dog cake on the side... and the budget is $50




Yes! I get that a lot! "How much for a 4 tiered cake to feed 5 people? LMAO

shuswapcakes Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 23

I think some (probably most!) people haven't a clue what they're doing when they order a cake and think that the more information they give us the better as far as they're likes and dislikes... it's just frustrating when they say "and can you put all of that on the cake please!?"

I totally agree, and don't understand, people who come in and ask for tiered cakes for 6 people!! I get that all the time too... strange... I find where I'm located people are VERY tight with their money right now and they don't think they should have to spend "x" amount of dollars on a cake that has fondant, is filled, toppers, tiers, etc.... they don't want to pay over $30! Seriously!?? I guess that's what Walmart sheet cakes are for...

nicunurse Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 23

Ha ha ha ha icon_biggrin.gif I love this topic... "He likes the dallas cowboys, ghost busters icon_confused.gif and we are only having like 5 people over." What am I suppose to do with that?? icon_confused.gif"Oh yea, and he likes reeses cups but my sister is allergic to peanut butter." You have got to be kidding me!!

sheeny Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 23

People are funny, my friend's brother asked me to do a cake for his girlfriend. A 6" round with flowers - pretty simple. He also wanted it to say: "Happy Birthday (First Name, Middle Name, Last Name)! I love you so much, hope you enjoy this sexy cake!"

I wrote "Happy Birthday" on the cake board so it didn't interfere with the design, and thought of writing the rest on the box - but instead suggested he get her a card to go with the cake!

Who uses their girlfriend's full name, middle name and all????

KarolynAndrea Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny

People are funny, my friend's brother asked me to do a cake for his girlfriend. A 6" round with flowers - pretty simple. He also wanted it to say: "Happy Birthday (First Name, Middle Name, Last Name)! I love you so much, hope you enjoy this sexy cake!"

I wrote "Happy Birthday" on the cake board so it didn't interfere with the design, and thought of writing the rest on the box - but instead suggested he get her a card to go with the cake!

Who uses their girlfriend's full name, middle name and all????




That's another one of my peeves! I feel like writing on cakes is out of style. I had my friend's mom get a cake from me and wanted me to write, "Welcome Back, Dreams really do come true"
Really?!?

QTCakes1 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 2:14am
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

My favorite is... I need a special cake. They like yada yada yada. Name many different thing and then say. I only need it for 4 people and we don't like cake. icon_eek.gif





AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

angelleyes Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 2:53am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

My favorite is... I need a special cake. They like yada yada yada. Name many different thing and then say. I only need it for 4 people and we don't like cake. icon_eek.gif





Agreed... O yea don't forget about being cheaper lol

angelleyes Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 2:57am
post #16 of 23

What about when they say "I'll make it myself" after u quote them... Ever happen to anyone??

Jacscakes213 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 3:32am
post #17 of 23

Here's my favorite.... " here's five pictures of what I want, can you make it look just like the picture?"
Hmmmm......which picture was that exactly?

HeyWife Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 4:43am
post #18 of 23

I hate when someone asks for a quote for 30 servings, then doesn't like the price and asks for servings for 15 because "not everyone eats cake". Then why did you ask for 30 servings in the first place???

Had another good one last week...original email asked for 30 "small" servings. We agreed on a design and price, then she calls to arrange a pickup time and says "the cake will serve 40, right?". I told her our agreement was for 30 servings. She says, "Yeah, there will be 50 people there". So which is it? 30, 40 or 50? I told her if she wanted more servings she could order a bigger cake but she told me no, she'll just cut small pieces.
People suck.

shuswapcakes Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 12:35am
post #19 of 23

Angelleyes -What about when they say "I'll make it myself" after u quote them... Ever happen to anyone??


I have gotten this one a few times!! I think so why are you standing here asking me to do a cake for you!?? Guess it all comes with the territory of decorating cakes for a living! icon_confused.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 1:47am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarolynAndrea

I can't stand when people order a cake and give 10 random things that they want on it...."Well, he plays soccer, drinks beer, loves his Mustang, has 3 kids, is a roofer, was in the Army, and loves to sing karaoke on the weekends." Really?!? None of that goes together and that cake would look stupid. I want to avoid doing them at all costs!




I love this sort of cake. I call them Life Quilts (for adults) and Activity Quilts (for young people). And of all the clients I have made them for, not even one has thought the cake looked stupid. After all, they received exactly what they asked for. And when they pay me, they always get what they want.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 1:55am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted



I love this sort of cake. I call them Life Quilts (for adults) and Activity Quilts (for young people). And of all the clients I have made them for, not even one has thought the cake looked stupid. After all, they received exactly what they asked for. And when they pay me, they always get what they want.




Same here! We did this for a friend's 50th, and it was actually our idea to do a kind of "This is your life" theme. We did little road signs with the different places he has lived and little gumpaste figures of things from his past and interests/hobbies. It was fun!

FACSlady Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 2:05am
post #22 of 23

I just made a cake for a friend's birthday, and his wife gave me all kinds of things he liked or was interested in. My daughter is the one who came up with the idea of how to incorporate all those things in one design. I made a crossword puzzle (he loves crossword puzzles) including all his interests plus the names of his family members. (Discoverychannel.com has a puzzle maker) I made blank copies with clues for all the guests at the party and used an edible image to put the solved puzzle on top of the cake. The guests had a great time working on the puzzle and they loved the cake. I didn't take a picture of it because I didn't like the way it came out, but the guests didn't know I decorate cakes, so they thought it was great. I made the cake during the recent extended power outages here in Connecticut; I'm using that as an excuse for the poor execution of the cake. (Actually baked it at my daughter's house.)

aundrea Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 2:39am
post #23 of 23

im just a hobby baker. so i get this:
grandaughters freinds mother: "i was gonna have you make my daughters cake, but the place we are having her party provides the cake".
'you were gonna HAVE ME MAKE THE CAKE?' hello you werent asking me or even inviting my grandaughter to the party. WTF!!
or this:
family member: "im going to a party tonight - can you make me a 'such-n-such' cake to feed x-number of people"
this phone call comes in at 2:00 in the afternoon.
'sure!!! im doing nothing and can just whip a cake out of my a@@'
and of course noone even thinks of offering to purchase my ingredients!!
i get invited to so many random parties now, that im on autopilot and decline. and now people are requesting not just a cake-but other baked goods.
i only make cakes for people who really appreciate the time and energy it takes me. which is close family/friends.
wow....didnt realize i was going to go on a rant/vent!
whew feel better

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%