Should I Rent A Table?

Baking By Lovelyladylibra Updated 18 Nov 2011 , 4:15pm by Kathy107

Lovelyladylibra Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 9:54am
post #1 of 5

the local catholic school around my way is having a fair. They're renting out tables for 30 bucks for one and 50 for two. I really want to rent a table and sell some baked goods. Nothing big, just a few cookies by the dozen and have a few in single baggies, single cupcakes, and cake pops. I figured I'd keep it simple and do winter/Christmas themed, some characters to wheel the kids over to the table and maybe some football themed ones too.

I'm just not sure how much I should make of what, how much to sell them for (I'm afraid of baking alot of items and having alot of people walking away stating my prices are too high and then I'll be stuck wiu a bunch of unsold products).

I know it's good for holiday business and for getting my name out there. But with most of he supplies costing almost 200 dollars and it all coming from my pockets I'm not sure if it would be wise to jump into. The fair would be on the 10th. What do you guys think?

4 replies
Lovelyladylibra Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 5

Good morning

jason_kraft Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 5

Do you have a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen? If not, you may not be able to legally sell food directly to customers, I believe NY has a limited cottage food law that allows for wholesale only.

Jennifer353 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 10:02am
post #4 of 5

Can you find out how many people they are expecting? Have they had events like this before and how did they go?
Do you know how many other food vendors will be there or what they will be selling?
Do you currently sell to the public and if so how much do you charge? Id probably go slightly less than normal but not by much you dont want people to think the reduced rates are your normal prices so you could advertise that they are event specials.
I dont know about the legalities Jason mentions so you would need to look in to those.

Kathy107 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 5

Hi, The local church in my area (Long Island NY) does a fair every year Thanksgiving weekend. They say there are over 100 vendors. I plan on going this year just to check it out and see if it is worth it to rent a table next year. Let us know if you participate. I think you would do well selling the Christmas chocolate lolipops, cake balls, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%