Urgent Help - How High Should "gift Box" Cake Tier

Decorating By AnnieBeeVee Updated 21 Nov 2011 , 2:35pm by AnnieBeeVee

AnnieBeeVee Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 7

I am in the middle of making a 2 tier gift box cake. Square cakes, 8"x8" and 11"x11". My cakes are about 3" high, and the plan was to torte into 2 layers, fill, then cover with choc ganache buttercream and then fondant. I am starting to panic thinking that 3" (+ a little added from the filling, BC and fondant) will look way too short, especially by the time each "box" has a lid added around the top border. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I'm thinking I might need to make each cake 3 layers thick to look more boxy... So I need to quickly make more cakes, only half the normal thickness, to make a third layer for each tier.

Any thoughts??? Can anyone tell me how high the tiers normally are for stacked gift box cakes? I have googled like crazy, and cannot find the answer!

I am stressed, because today was my baking day, and I was hoping to have them covered by fondant by the end of the day, but now I will probably have to make more cakes, and more batches of fondant. Yikes...

6 replies
Dayti Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:12am
post #2 of 7

If you want to get finished up today I wouldn't bake any more cake, but I would torte your 3" cake into 3, 1" layers. With 3" of cake, 2 lots of filling, buttercream/ganache under fondant plus the fondant, you will be pushing 4" high anyway. There is no "rule" as to what height your boxes should be. They should be the height you are happy with.

cakemama2010 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:28am
post #3 of 7

My gift box cake was 4" high plus the buttercream filling. Dayti offered good advice...I concur!

AnnieBeeVee Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:31am
post #4 of 7

The trouble is that the cakes are just under 3", really don't think I could torte them into 3 layers... Sigh. I'm just going to have to make the extra layers I think to have it look really good.

I have the time, I just am behind my schedule... Will have to be up late tonight and tomorrow night too...

SomethingSweetByFlo Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:13am
post #5 of 7

I would make an extra layer....I think they look nice when they are quite tall. I will be in the same boat as you next week. I'm making my first box cake for a couple celebrating their anniversary.

Let us know how everything looks and post a picture please!

AnnieBeeVee Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the advice, I made the extra layers and it was definitely the right decision. I think it turned out pretty well. For a simple looking cake this was a lot of work! I had only ever covered one square cake before, so I was a little nervous tackling this. The tiers are 8" and 11" squares, about 4 1/2" - 5" tall.

Thanks again!

Here it is... http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2212604

AnnieBeeVee Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 7

BTW, please also share your pics, "SomethingSweetByFlo"! What colours are you using? When is yours due? And thanks for your kind comment icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%