Covering Ganache In Fondant

Decorating By vgereis Updated 17 Nov 2011 , 2:19pm by Claire138

vgereis Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all!

Just a quick question... as this will be the first time I use ganache.... is there a secret to attaching/getting fondant to stick onto ganache? I know with a normal bc icing... i can just spray with water if it's too crusted... but what about ganache?

Thanks in advance!

Vicky

7 replies
TexasSugar Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 8

The couple of times I did it, I just smeared a little crisco (shortening) over the ganache and it stuck fine.

I can't see why you can't use water as long as you don't put too much on there.

vgereis Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 9:37am
post #3 of 8

Thanks so much TexasSugar!

One other question I have about ganache... once it's on... does that mean the cake is sorta sealed? I mean... when I buttercream a cake... as long as there are no perishables inside the cake, it can stay out... but what about with ganache? Or does it need to be refrigerated till it is covered in fondant? I don't want the cake to dry out...

Thanks again!

Vicky

mcaulir Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 10:59am
post #4 of 8

I dampen my ganache with a little bit of water on a paper towel. That does the trick as well. Cake can stay out once ganached, as long as there's nothing perishable inside.

vgereis Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks a million mcaulir!! That helps a lot!!

Best,

Vicky

Karen421 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 8

I use a little Crisco also, works great! icon_biggrin.gif I am sure a little water will work too.

justkist Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 8

I agree that water works just fine and I have found that a ganached cake seals up QUITE nicely so the ganache raelly holds in the moisture icon_smile.gif

Claire138 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 8

I cover ganache with fondant all the time and do not put any water on it bc I have had the occasion where I wasn't happy with the way the fondant went on or realized it wasn't big enough so have gently taken it off again with no mis-hapes (thank goodness!) and then I've just rolled it out again and put it back on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%