Dr. Marten Boot Question

Decorating By mburkett Updated 17 Nov 2011 , 1:34am by cakeyouverymuch

mburkett Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 6

I'm going to make a replica of a Dr. Marten boot for a friend. I would like to make the sole out of gumpaste but if I put cake directly down on top of it, I'm afraid that it will absorb the moisture and soften the gumpaste. Any suggestions? Should I just put the cake down on a board and build the sole around the cake? In doing so, I won't get the lift in the toe.

All the photos I've seen so far have the cake directly down on the board.

I posted a pic at this link:

Any suggestions/ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you!

5 replies
cakeyouverymuch Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 6

I would try making the sole out of RCT. If you make your RCT without the butter and compress it really well to make it more dense it may be strong enough to keep the curve once you cover it with gumpaste. The kayak here was shaped and set on foam wedges till it set and it kept its shape over a period of ten days

It didn't have cake weighing it down, but yours wouldn't have allot of cake on top of the RCT so it might work. The only other alternative is to make the toe of the boot stepping on something to keep it up and that sort of defeats the purpose. You could also do it with the RCT and keep a wedge of something till just before delivery. If it doesn't have to sit long before cutting it might hold itself up.

mburkett Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:01am
post #3 of 6

Thank you...I didn't think about RCT. That could work. I actually thought about putting some sort of barrier like a thinner flexible carboard (like from a cake box) or cut a thin silcone baking sheet to the shape and putting that between the sole and the cake.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:13am
post #4 of 6

Even with RCT a barrier might be a good idea. Have you considered using acetate. Something like this could be cut to fit and placed between the RCT and the cake with a bit of royal icing or even chocolate as a glue to hold it in place:

Just a thought, but I'd do chocolate RCT instead of the regular. It just seems . . . . appropriate for some reason. lol

mburkett Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:29am
post #5 of 6

Acetate. Perfect. I have it, didn't even think about it.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:34am
post #6 of 6

Let us know how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%