What Sizes For A 200 Serving Cake???

Decorating By jamieq Updated 18 Nov 2011 , 6:52pm by chelleb1974

jamieq Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, I have been searching all day for what sizes i will need... can anyone please clarify?! I have 3, THREE versions of the Wilton serving chart, all stating different serving amounts. I need to make a cake that will serve a minimum of 200 people. I have a 14" pans, 10" pans, 8" pans, and 6" pans...(all round) can I use a combination of those? UGH... I am so tired of thinking about this. I go by one chart and get 178 with 14/10/6 and then it is wicked short with another chart... Do I just need to bite the bullet and buy the 16" and 12" like I should have a while ago? (it has just been nice that every cake so far has been able to fit serving wise with pans I already owned.)

I have no insight from the bride if she wants 3 tiers or 4, so... gimme your best shot. If you had to serve 200 people, what combo of round pans do you use. PLEASE AND THANKYOU!!!

10 replies
LeeBD Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 11

14",12",10" 8", and 6" cut into 1"x2" servings should yield 211 servings
HTH

LeeBD Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 11

Does the bride want a round cake? Square will yield more servings...this will cut back on at least one tier.

jamieq Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 2:19am
post #4 of 11

I am not sure the bride even has a clue what she wants. The only thing that she keeps reiterating is that it must feed 200 people. I know that she wants rounds, because those are the pictures of the 900 different cakes she has shown me... all pretty much looking the same, just different colors, flowers and size tiers. So, I have a good idea what she wants, I just don't know what tiers to create to feed her guests... So... how heavy is a 5 tiered cake anyway?!!! LOL! icon_eek.gif

kakeladi Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 3:25am
post #5 of 11

There are many ways you can go on this.
Make 4 8" rounds for the base, then top w/14, 10, 6 for 212 servings - my personal choiceicon_smile.gif

OR just do the 14, 10, 8, 6 stack and add an 8" side cakes for 236 servings

OR do the stack 14, 10,6 and have sheet cakes in the kitchen for the rest of the servings needed.

Look in my pictures there are a couple of examples there. Sorry I'm having computer problems and can't attach any pix for you

pmarks0 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 3:29am
post #6 of 11

Do you need to save the top tier for the bride (ie 6") or are you counting that as part of your servings?

LeeBD Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 11

A 5 tier cake will be very heavy. It's probably best to do less tiers(if she wants round)and have a satellite cake in the kitchen. Especially if the bride wants to save top tier.

jamieq Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 11

I am starting to really like the idea of the 4 8" bases and building on that. I love the look of it. At this point, I am counting the entire cake as food, and if she wants a tier to save, I will have to make adjustments, or make a separate 6" cake. I just want something that will be the simple elegance she is desiring, but I am just not wanting some skyscraper extravaganza!! ...well unless the bride does... let's pray she goes with this suggestion!! Great idea!! Thanks!

What kind of support system do you use if 4 cakes are acting as the base? How would you have your dowels placed?

kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 2:00am
post #9 of 11

.......What kind of support system...if 4 cakes are acting the base? How would you have your dowels placed?........

what I do is take a cake board 1 size (2") *smaller* than the cake and place it on top of the 4 base cakes. Around that circle (right on the mark the board made) I place the dowels - I'd say 7 to 9 of them. If you are using a 14" round on top of the 4, then use a 12" circle to mark where the dowels will go. 7 around a 12" circle is good - 9 might make you feel better icon_smile.gif

jamieq Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 11

thank you!! i really really love this idea! icon_biggrin.gif

chelleb1974 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 11

I like the satellite cake idea also. Another idea, rather than stacking directly on top of the 4 smaller cakes, you could put a cake dummy covered in pretty fabric and place the big cake on top of that, then the smaller ones on the table. I actually stacked two 4" dummy's (duct-taped together).

There's a pic on my website of one I did this way: http://www.chellescakes.com/WATurquoise.html

Good luck!
~Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%