Buttercream Or Fondant?

Decorating By Debbye27 Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 10:57pm by Debbye27

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 3

So I am making a square cake for an anniversary next week. One corner will be covered with gumpaste leaves and flowers. The sides will have leaves piped onto it, and I want to paint the leaves and writing gold....can this be done on buttercream, or is fondant the only thing stable enough to pipe and paint on? I am worried about it melting or me knocking it with my finger and leaving marks-I am very confident with fondant because of it's durability, but not so confident with buttercream. This will be my 8th cake, so I don't have much experience -but wondering if this can be easily done with buttercream?

2 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 3

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1219978

This cake was crusting buttercream and it was painted on using airbrush colors and a paint brush, so painting can be done on buttercream. But you do have to have a light touch with it.

If you feel more confident with fondant, then I'd go ahead and do that. Not that it can't be done with buttercream but if you are already trying one thing (painting on a cake) make your life easier and not try another new thing out. icon_smile.gif

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 3

Wow I can't believe that was painted on buttercream- fab job!! I'm probably going to go with fondant, but then I run into nervousness over making the corners perfect icon_smile.gif Everything is a challenge- but I am learning! Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%