Snow Globe?

Decorating By rpaige Updated 21 Nov 2011 , 1:58pm by rpaige

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 19

Hi,

I have seen so many cute cakes with a glass "snow globe" as decoration. I have not been able to find a suitable bowl for this use. I was thinking a small fish bowl but found nothing at the pet stores - just heavy bowls. Do you have any suggestions and/or locations for purchase?

Thanks!

18 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 19

In 2009, Coca-Cola came out with their products in round plastic bottles (limited edition). When the bottles were empty, people could make snowglobes from them. If you search for "round coke bottle" on eBay, you will see several listings. They might seem kind of expensive for plastic bottles, but they are getting rarer and they are so lightweight that they would be perfect for putting onto a cake.

Good luck

shanter Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 19

P.S. The plastic label wrapped around the bottle comes off easily.

rpaige Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:04am
post #4 of 19

Thanks Shanter! I think the coke bottles will be too small to use on a cake - although I enjoyed seeing the bottles because I had not seen them before. I had planned to make a large sheet cake and then place one smaller square cake in the middle of the sheet cake. I was then going to place a tree and a snowman in the center of the smaller square and place a glass or plastic globe over the tree and snowman to create the snow globe affect. It is for an elementary classroom so I have to make a large cake - that means the snow globe has to be larger as well.

Appreciate the response - let me know if you come up with additional ideas!

h2o_db Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
h2o_db Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:20am
post #5 of 19

Here in europe we have some lamp "shades" (luminaires) that have the form of globes. Maybe that could help? Or make a gelatine bubble with gelatine, but it might not be translucid enough; or strong enough)

rpaige Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:52am
post #8 of 19

Thanks everyone! I'm placing an order to Roxie's tonight. The fish bowl is perfect! I did not even see Roxie's come up in my Google search. I kept finding the more "squarish or oval" type fish bowls in my search. I guess I'm lacking the "technology" gene.

I really appreciate your help. I was having a brain freeze and in a bit of a panic about having to come up with a different idea at the last minute.

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:08am
post #9 of 19

You can make one out of gelatin. You dry it over a balloon. There's a bit of a learning curve with it, but if you want everything to be edible, it's worth a try. You can see two of them in my photos.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:15am
post #10 of 19

I bought one of those small gum ball machines, emptied all the gum out and used the plastic ball for the globe - it was the perfect size! I LOVE snow globe cakes icon_smile.gif

shanter Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 2:04am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaige

Thanks everyone! I'm placing an order to Roxie's tonight. The fish bowl is perfect! I did not even see Roxie's come up in my Google search. I kept finding the more "squarish or oval" type fish bowls in my search. I guess I'm lacking the "technology" gene.

I don't know if it's a "technology" gene. My sister says "You have some kind of weird wiring in your head. I don't try to find things on the web any more, I just ask you to do it!"

shanter, weirdly wired in Seattle (maybe it's something in the air here--my sister doesn't live in Seattle) icon_biggrin.gif

rpaige Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 2:24am
post #12 of 19

I have never tried a snow globe cake and wanted to branch out a bit. When it comes to the classroom cakes, I try to never repeat a cake and yet each one needs to be simple yet impressive. I donate all my cakes so I have to be frugal with my expenses. I'm hoping that it will turn out well. There are a number of really good snow globe cakes on CC and I'm trying to learn from others. I'm just a beginner and each cake comes with many "hard lessons!"

I will try to remember to share pictures with you guys!

Thanks again - I'm keeping my eyes open for lamp shades and gumball machines - I can always save them for my next cake and I won't have this problem again.

Have a good evening!

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 3:12am
post #13 of 19

I used an acrylic ornament for mine. I have attached it for you to look at. The base was made of cereal treat and covered in fondant.

http://cakecentral.com//gallery/2121292

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 3:52am
post #14 of 19

I was going to try isomalt and hadn't thought of using gelatin for a snow globe - great idea FACSlady and awesome job on the cake! I came across this tutorial when I was looking at gelatin bubbles - same process I assume (?):
http://www.sugarartbytami.com/tutorials/Gelatintutorial.pdf

rpaige Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:04pm
post #15 of 19

Beautiful cake, grandmomof1! I love the details on the globe. I also enjoyed the tutorial from cakesrocks - I thought the bubbles or globes would be much harder. Looks a little time consumming but the results are well worth it. I may have to challenge myself more than I thought. I saved the tutorial for future use. Now I just have to step out of my comfort zone and give it a try.

Love all your ideas and really appreciate the help. I'm a stay-at-home mom and feel a little isolated. Having communication with the outside world is just great!

Happy baking!

justkist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justkist Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:40pm
post #16 of 19

I actually bought an assortmant of sizes of vases at michaels (using the coupons they were VERY affordable) and they were perfect for this. (see my gallery). Nice wide mouth so you could fil the globe right up too!

huskerfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerfan Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:58pm
post #17 of 19

Got mine at Hobby Lobby. Plastic ornaments that come apart. Work great!

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 1:50am
post #18 of 19

Yes, it's the same technique; I wish I had seen that tutorial before I made mine because it would have saved my a little reinventing the wheel. The one piece of advice I'd add is to be patient and let the balloon peel itself away from the snow globe before you try to help it along. It usually comes off mostly by itself.

rpaige Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 1:58pm
post #19 of 19

First several times I went to Hobby Lobby, I had young people try to assist me (bless them for trying) and we found nothing suitable. Later went to Hobby Lobby again and a lady took me right to the floral department and I found what I needed! Try, try again was the answer to my dilema.

I still want to try making my own using the balloons, gelatin, etc.

Every time I try to step out of my box I lose sleep for days over the details. By the end of the process, I'm ready to close the flaps of my box and never come out! LOL

Thanks for all the help....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%