Need Help With How To Make The Neck Of A Guitar For A Cake.

Decorating By Hcraley24 Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 6:08pm by mplaidgirl2

Hcraley24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hcraley24 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,
I was asked to do a pink guitar with real strings and a 3-d neck that is up off of the cake board. There is a picture of the cake that I am trying to duplicate under cc member: eneq photos. I wasnt sure how to add a link for that. Also, any tips for the strings and tuning knobs would be much appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 4

I went to Walmart and bought metallic silver thread for my guitar strings and they looked great IMO. I handmade the turning knobs and put them on toothpicks that had been cut in half. I tied the silver thread to the toothpicks and pushed them into the cake. I really liked how it all turned out. Hope that helps a bit. I have a picture of the cake here on cc.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 4

I haven't seen the cake you're talking about, but I've done two guitar cakes, and here's what I did...

I cut foam core for the neck. I covered it in fondant and stuck skewers through it so it wouldn't slide off of the body of the guitar (I did this on the second cake.). Be sure to make the holes before you cover it with fondant. I used a small triangle made of foam core to hold up the other end.

I used my extruder and fondant with tylose to make the strings. I used the disk with the smallest set of holes, and used a piece of foil to block off all of the holes but two. This kept me from having 8 or so strings coming out at once and getting tangled and stuck together. I extruded the strings out onto waxed paper to set up. I painted them silver before I put them on the cake.

The tuning keys were just pieces of fondant that I rolled into balls and squished into shape.

Here are the finished cakes:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/5198180539/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/4591825681/in/photostream

Hope some of these ideas can help you out.

Helen Jo

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 4

awesome I need to make a guitar soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%