Stupid Question :)

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 17 Nov 2011 , 4:53pm by carolinagirlcakes

lrlt2000 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 14

Do you use a paddle or whip attachment for cake batter? I've always used a whip, but now I'm thinking maybe a paddle would make more sense. Not that I have an air bubble problem because even though I use the whip, I don't technically whip the batter icon_smile.gif

13 replies
cupadeecakes Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 14

I use the paddle attachment.

leah_s Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 14

The paddle is used for mixing batters.

The dough hook for kneading doughs.
The whip for whipping egg whites or cream.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 14

So do you like or use the paddle attachment that has the scrapper edges on it?

I have one and loved it but it torn up really quick icon_sad.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 14

I have a Cuisinart 7 quart and hate it because the attachments never get to the edges. . . HATE IT!!!!! Maybe I'll buy one of the paddles with scrapers icon_wink.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 14

Paddle, but I don't have a beater blade. I just scrape it down with a spatula.

rpaige Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:13am
post #7 of 14

I just bought a new Kitchenaid on craigslist - never used and it works beautifully. I'm so excited! Which attachment do you use for mixing bc properly? Thanks!

bakingpw Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:19am
post #8 of 14

The paddle attachment is for creaming ingredients - for doughs and batters, such as cakes you don't want air in and cookies.

The whip attachment is for incorporating air into something - some scratch cakes need the whip attachment such as sponge cakes, roulades, and angel food.

For IMBC, and SMBC I always use the whip attachment. For "American Buttercream" (powdered sugar and shortening/butter) you would use the paddle or paddle first and then whip (differing opinions on this).

leah_s Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:20am
post #9 of 14

I do not have the paddle with the scraper. Personally I think it's silly.

DanaG21 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:48am
post #10 of 14

I love my Beater Blade! I won't not have one again. But to the original question - paddle for batter.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:50am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaG21

I love my Beater Blade! I won't not have one again. But to the original question - paddle for batter.

Which beater blade do you have? I loved mine but after like 3 mths of use it started to seperate from the paddle. When do you use yours, for batter, frosting, etc?

scp1127 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 6:45am
post #12 of 14

The beater blade is a terrific time-saver. It keeps you from having to stop the mixer and scrape the sides.

For those of you who are having trouble, did you adjust the bowl to make it fit properly. I have on on all three of my mixers and even though I use them hard, they look like the day I got them.

DanaG21 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 14

I've bought the Beater Blade brand. I agree with SCP1127 you need to adjust your bowl. I use my beater blade for most everything except my buttercream which is a merigune buttercream and of course to beat egg whites and cream! I haven't had problems with the rubber breaking down. You should look into the warranty.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 4:53pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaG21

I've bought the Beater Blade brand. I agree with SCP1127 you need to adjust your bowl. I use my beater blade for most everything except my buttercream which is a merigune buttercream and of course to beat egg whites and cream! I haven't had problems with the rubber breaking down. You should look into the warranty.

Yeah I will double check the adjustments and I have been meaning to call about the warranty but never make time for it, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%