Owl Cake.... All Help Is Appreciated.. New To This!!!!

Decorating By MedicBaby21 Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 2:50am by MedicBaby21

MedicBaby21  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MedicBaby21 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 1:47am
post #1 of 3

I have roughly a week to come up with an owl idea for my daughters cake. I would like to do a chocolate or red velvet cake but would like to do a carvable owl cake.

What kind of cake batter should I go with for carving an owl and if you have a recipe that would be awesome....

And what kind of frosting recipe, preferably a buttercream recipe for decorating, or should I do a different frosting for decorating?

I need all the guidance I can get since this is a last minute decision to do my daughters cake for her 2nd birthday and I really want to do a carved cake... just want it to be really tastey!

2 replies
 KathysCC  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 1:51am
post #2 of 3

I would start with a search of the 3-D animal gallery for "owl". That should give you lots of ideas.

WASC (white almond sour cream) cake works really well for carving(you can find the recipe in the recipe section). I have also used a recipe of one regular box cake and one pound cake mix put together. That makes a denser cake for carving.

Any buttercream recipe should work fine. Just pick one you like. There are lots of popular recipes here.

MedicBaby21  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MedicBaby21 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:50am
post #3 of 3

What's a good frosting recipe that won't melt or distort at room temp? Should I not do a buttercream for decorating?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%