Owl Cake.... All Help Is Appreciated.. New To This!!!!

Decorating By MedicBaby21 Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 2:50am by MedicBaby21

MedicBaby21 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 1:47am
post #1 of 3

I have roughly a week to come up with an owl idea for my daughters cake. I would like to do a chocolate or red velvet cake but would like to do a carvable owl cake.

What kind of cake batter should I go with for carving an owl and if you have a recipe that would be awesome....

And what kind of frosting recipe, preferably a buttercream recipe for decorating, or should I do a different frosting for decorating?

I need all the guidance I can get since this is a last minute decision to do my daughters cake for her 2nd birthday and I really want to do a carved cake... just want it to be really tastey!

2 replies
KathysCC Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 1:51am
post #2 of 3

I would start with a search of the 3-D animal gallery for "owl". That should give you lots of ideas.

WASC (white almond sour cream) cake works really well for carving(you can find the recipe in the recipe section). I have also used a recipe of one regular box cake and one pound cake mix put together. That makes a denser cake for carving.

Any buttercream recipe should work fine. Just pick one you like. There are lots of popular recipes here.

MedicBaby21 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:50am
post #3 of 3

What's a good frosting recipe that won't melt or distort at room temp? Should I not do a buttercream for decorating?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%