Question About Gelatin Bubbles...

Decorating By armywife1 Updated 21 Nov 2011 , 2:32pm by cakeyouverymuch

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone tell me if it's 'safe' to paint them with wilton food coloring? I wasn't sure if that would make them dissolve. Thanks in advance.

8 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 1:42am
post #2 of 9

I haven't used Wilton food coloring, nor have I colored entire bubbles. But I did make a "beach ball" effect on my Olivia the Pig cake in my photos. I used a red edible marker-----very lightly and briefly---- on a clear gelatin bubble left over from a previous cake. It turned out well and no, I didn't have any melting problems. As to how it would work on an entire bubble, I wouldn't know.
Good luck.

Jan

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 3:00am
post #3 of 9

I have used luster dust on them (painted dry) and there is a great cake here on cc with cascading "rainbow" bubbles that they say were air brushed.
I think that they disolve more with heat than with liquid.

I would say paint one of the bubbles as a test bubble, and if you paint them with the luster dust/vodka, they will dry quickly.

let me know how they turn out. if you want to see the cake I refered to I will look in my favorites and give it to you.

armywife1 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 9

Well, I tried mixing the dust with alcohol, but it still made the bubble 'deflate' a bit so I didn't attempt to paint them with Wilton color. Just brushing with the dry color dust didn't have much of an effect. Next time I'll try adding some color to the gelatin and see how that works. Also, I think I need to practice on making them with a thicker coat of gelatin. An airbrush would be a great item to use, but I don't have one. icon_sad.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

I have used luster dust on them (painted dry) and there is a great cake here on cc with cascading "rainbow" bubbles that they say were air brushed.
I think that they disolve more with heat than with liquid.

I would say paint one of the bubbles as a test bubble, and if you paint them with the luster dust/vodka, they will dry quickly.

let me know how they turn out. if you want to see the cake I refered to I will look in my favorites and give it to you.

Do you have a link to that rainbow cake? I'd love to see it! icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 12:17am
post #6 of 9

Is this the rainbow bubbles cake you are talking about?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2155708

armywife1 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 12:58am
post #7 of 9

icer101, I believe that is the correct one. icon_smile.gif

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 9

yes that is the air brush bubbles that I was refering to. It is beautiful.

I tried to add color to the gel when I was making them but it didn't color deep at all. these colors on that cake are vibrant and clear.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 9

I've never made gelatin bubbles, but here's an idea: Would it work to replace part of the water used to bloom the gelatin with liquid food color like that sold in the grocery store? That might work to develop the depth of color you are looking for, then you could dust them with pearl or luster dust in a matching color to give them a more subtle sheen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%