What Else Do You Cover In Chocolate? Need Suggestions!

Lounge By lynn780 Updated 21 Nov 2011 , 7:35pm by VannaD

lynn780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn780 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 25

I have been asked to fill a box with an assortment of chocolate covered items for a silent auction for the holidays. Other than the oreos, ritz w/peanut butter, nutter butter, pretzels, what do any of you dip and/or cover with chocolate? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

24 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 25

I've seen dried fruit covered or dipped in chocolate (think raisins). My mom used to cover chow mein noodles in a mixture of half chocolate chips and half butterscotch chips. Yumm! She made them about the size of golf balls, or a bit smaller.

novice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novice Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 25

chocolate covered peanut clusters,
homemade caramels or marshmallows,
peanut butter balls - family favorite
homemade toffee
pecan and caramel - turtles

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 25

Anything is better with chocolate.. The possibilities are endless icon_smile.gif

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 25

potato chips
candy canes
apples
and my personal favorite - candied orange peels. As a co-worker once said after eating the chocolate covered orange peels, "You can recycle anything if you cover it in chocolate."

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 25

Candy canes

Plastic spoons- they're great added to coffee or hot chocolate. My family forgoes the hot beverage and just pops them in their mouths.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 25

As GeminiRJ said, dried fruit. I especially love apricots (leave some part of the fruit showing so they know what it is). Plus dates, marshmallows, and small shortbread or sugar cookies (dip half to two-thirds). Also nuts, candied orange peel, peppermint candies, caramels, maraschino cherries, Reese's peanut butter cups, cake balls........

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 25

toasted almonds, coconut, dried apricots, candied ginger

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 25

Pringles, bugles filled with peanut butter . . . .

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 25

Cake balls, or truffles as I like to call them. LOL

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 25

Buy some square pretzels, rolos, and some pecans (candied or cinnamon coated are awesome). Cut rolos in half and place each piece on a pretzel. Cook for 5 minutes at 325. As soon as you pull them out of the oven, stick a pecan on each. I get rave reviews and have even been blamed for holiday weight gain.

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 7:27pm
post #12 of 25

There is nothing you CAN'T cover in chocolate. My kids know not to be too still for too long or they're next..........

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 8:28pm
post #13 of 25

I have one that is completely different, but the plate is always cleaned when they are made..... Chocolate covered fried chinese noodles. The ones you buy in a can at the grocery store. They kind of look like a bird's nest once you cover in chocolate.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 8:33pm
post #14 of 25

Rice Krispy treats, squares of pound cake, squares of cheesecake (but not if the box is going to sit around for a long time, as the cheesecake should in that case refrigerated), a few pieces ofkettle corn stuck together, squares of angel food cake, mini-donuts, macaroons........

lynn780 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 11:59pm
post #15 of 25

OMG!! You guys are awesome with your suggestions. I saw the potato chips done in one of those high-end holiday magazines. Thanks again everyone for your responses.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 4:07pm
post #16 of 25

To repeat the nuts and dried fruit of really any kind, fresh fruit if it is not going to be sitting around for days and as a friend suggested... chillies

Well really anything as the others have said, (currently just started WW necessatated from eating too much chocolate!) never tried the potato chips but think I might have to!

Has someone said popcorn, fudge and toffee?

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 6:15pm
post #17 of 25

Peanut butter rice crispy treats are yummy when topped with a layer of melted chocolate. You could even roll them in balls and dip them in chocolate.

You can take a jumbo marshmallow, put it on a stick, then dip it in caramel, let set, then dip in chocolate.

So many possibilities!

Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 8:18pm
post #18 of 25

Ok I have to try the chips! Chocolate or white?

lynn780 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 10:49pm
post #19 of 25

If I was doing an assortment to sell to other customers, how would you charge for it? Per pound? Or in a decorative box & then one price. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 11:32pm
post #20 of 25

chocolate cover shortbread cookies. yum.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 9:44am
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn780

If I was doing an assortment to sell to other customers, how would you charge for it? Per pound? Or in a decorative box & then one price. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

I guess per pound per type would be easy enough to price but if you put it in a decorative box people would buy it as gifts, especially if there were two or three sizes/prices.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 11:08pm
post #22 of 25

Decorative box or tins definately will make them more attractive as gifts. There are many at $ type stores to choose from to keep the price down and still look neat.

Cakeopoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeopoly Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 2:42am
post #23 of 25

Licorice....so yummy!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 11:50pm
post #24 of 25

Dried pineapple...And if you're going to do the chips, use the kettle chips, they hold up better when dipped.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 7:35pm
post #25 of 25

We visted a small chocolate factory in Daytona Beach, Florida this summer. They let you tour the kitchen where they dip different things. They were doing chips, and were just using plain Lays Potato Chips, the kind with the ruffles (i think they are called Ruffles). They dipped in white, dark, & milk chocolate, and were delicious! They also did chocolate covered coffee beans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%