New Cake Kitchen

Business By camomama5 Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 4:18pm by kel58

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 11

Working on getting my cake kitchen built (off my home) and am wondering if anyone has any good input on materials they suggest for walls, floors, anything really....thanks! Also in New York state (NOT NY CITY) anyone know anything about the range hood requirements? Our local code enforcer is new and clueless. Thank you.

10 replies
Piece_acake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Piece_acake Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 11

Hi Camomama icon_smile.gif

I just recently built a kitchen in my basement to use for my business. I live in Ontario, so the laws/rules are going to be a bit different, but if you'd like any info feel free to PM me.

For our floors, we used Epoxy paint. It is easy to wash and quite a bargain. Our walls were covered in washable paint and one wall was covered in washable wallpaper. Basically they are looking to see if every surface (walls,floor,ceiling) is easily washable.
Our range hood was not anything special, same sort of thing you'd see in your own kitchen.

I'll try to attach a picture, hopefully it will help you out a bit icon_smile.gif

Piece_acake Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 11

ok, I'll try again...

[img]Image
kit2 by piece_acake, on Flickr[/img]

braggmama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
braggmama2 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 11

Ooh, Piece_acake! I have kitchen envy!!

justkist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justkist Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 11

WOW! Piece_acake, Im in Ontario too... maybe ill come bake in yoru kitchen from now on! That is STUNNING!! having a space like that DEDICATED to your craft must be so inspiring!

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 11

Piece_acake I am SOO jelous! It is beautiful!! I am also in ontario. Where did you find the info on what what required for a legal kitchen? Im no where close to wanting to open my own bussiness but I would love to know for the future.

Piece_acake Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks so much ladies! I love being able to work on a cake anytime of the day instead of having to lug all of my stuff over to another rented kitchen.

Kel58- I called around for quite a while before I started. I got most of my info from our health inspector directly. Not sure if the requirements would be the same but I'd be happy to send you the list that my inspector sent me.

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 11

I am in Western NY and built a separate bakery in my basement. I have cement floor that are painted. My walls are I think bathroom paneling....it's washable, has to be that's why I figured it was easiest to just use that and it was cheap at Home Depot. The vent I have was on clearance and nothing fancy. To be honest I can't remember what the DOH said about it when it was inspected. I actually have them coming Friday morning to do my yearly inspection. Nice part about not having a store front is planned visits. You have to have separate everything. Also I am not sure if you have heard this yet but check to see if you are in a residential or commercial zone. I was residential and had to go through tons of meetings and paperwork to get changed to commercial to sell my cupcakes. So even though I was inspected November 2010 I couldn't do business until February 2011!
Hope this helps!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 11

camomama5, I'm not sure who you are referring to when you wrote "local code enforcer." In NY the Department of Ag & Mkts does licensing for commercial kitchens built on private property. You'll need the Article 20-C license. http://www.agriculture.ny.gov/FS/general/license.html Call the main office in Albany 518 457-5459 Someone there can answer all your questions.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 11

Here is a link to my Facebook album of my recently built cake studio in my basement. I live in South Dakota so of course rules are different, but I am licensed as a commercial kitchen. I think you may find some great organizing and storage ideas.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150362086235948.401607.521985947&type=1

Here is a link to a previous thread about my studio :
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=/modules&name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=729900&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 11

Piece_acake, that would be fantastic if you wouldnt mind. I thought for sure there would be laid out guildlines listed on a government site but so far I have not been able to locate them. Maybe i'm just not looking in the right place so far, im not sure.
Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%