!!! Help !!!

Decorating By sebrina Updated 15 Nov 2011 , 3:11pm by carmijok

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 6

My friends birthday is today & I worked all night on her cake only to find it in a mess this morning. Three layers of chocolate cake that I tapered from an 8 down to a 6 & basket weaved the entire thing & filled it with fondant flowers. Woke up to see that 1/4 of the cake feel completely off. The cake is soft, too soft to have carved in hind site. So I cut the part off that had slid. Now I am left with 3/4 of a round cake. I was thinking of laying it, cut side down & piping grass on the bottom but I am afraid it will not stay! I am willing to change the design, I just need something I can do quickly. Any ideas???

TIA!

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 6

I'm so sorry this happened to you. It does sound like the cake was too soft to support all that icing and flowers.

Can you lay the cake on it's side, and replace the basketweave with some terra cotta fondant to resemble a flower pot?

OR... lay it on it's side and use your cake and icing crumbs to form a tail at the narrow end to make a cornucopia.

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 6

I really like the cornucopia idea! But more piping is out of the question because I airbrushed it. Sooo... I would have to repipe the entire thing. And I wouldn't have time to do that & fill the cornucopia both. But the flower pot idea might work.
I am just so afraid this cake is going to collapse when I flip it over!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 6

If your fondant flowers were all on stems, they poked too many holes in the cake that perforated it.

You could pick up both pieces and drop them into a non-lead terra cotta pot. (It will be a mess to dump out and serve, but at least it will stay put for delivery/pick up.)

I like the idea to change the design by laying it on its side also... easy to serve.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 6

Pop it in the fridge to firm it up and it should flip over easily and keep it chilled until you serve it.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

Pop it in the fridge to firm it up and it should flip over easily and keep it chilled until you serve it.

What she said! Get it cold. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%