Is It This Time Of Year?

Business By RetiredNavyChief Updated 21 Nov 2011 , 5:33pm by SnLSweetEscapes

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all, I was just wondering does everyone else get slow this time of year? I went from a crazy busy September, semi busy October and now hardly any orders. I know its not my cakes, just figured everyone is Christmas shopping and not spending extra money.

11 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 12

Last year at this time, I was whining to my husband that I had no orders. I couldn't believe that no one wanted anything for Thanksgiving!

This year, I have orders for pies, cakes, mini cupcakes, regular cookies, decorated cookies and yeast rolls -- I hope I have time to cook my own family's Thanksgiving dinner!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 12

This is the lull for cakes. Everyone is focused on holiday baking and peak wedding season is coming to a close. If you only do cakes you will find that there are far less orders this time of the year and it lasts through February and into March. That has been my experience anyway.

I only offer decorated cakes and cupcakes, so this is my down time and I love it. I get to relax and enjoy the holiday season with my family and recharge my cake batteries.

I have been toying with offering pies this holiday season... but I'm still on the fence. I like not stressing this time of year.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 12

Yes, wedding season is winding down, so if you did a lot of those, that's about over. But this is consultation and show planing season.

Me? I'm getting ready to launch into a frozen cookie dough biz just for December. "Take and Bake."

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 12

Really? I'm totally booked from October to December! Lots of Fall showers and Winter weddings. I'm also booking for Spring, including May already. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh by the way, Congrats Leah on the frozen cookie dough biz. Wishing you lots of holiday moolah! thumbs_up.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:42am
post #6 of 12

We have been super busy in October and November, but we don't have as many booked for December so far. I think it's just because of the Holidays like you said. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:49am
post #7 of 12

I'm a lot slower this time of year even thoguh I'm booked with more than usual for Nov and Dec.

It's definitely slower for appointments, too. Things will pick up in January after all the brides get engaged over the holidays and go crazy with the planning at the beginning of the year.

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:25am
post #8 of 12

I have at least one order per weekend until the end of the year, but I'm noticing people are being cheap about prices right now.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 12

Yes, it's definitely slower. Try to enjoy the down time. Or, if you want to drum up income, put out a holiday special offer and make it really enticing. An offer they can't refuse icon_smile.gif

Mietta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mietta Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 4:50pm
post #10 of 12

Flat out like a lizard drinking.
November/December is always busy.

My quiet time is usually January when people go on holidays.
Which I am looking forward to!

ALWardle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALWardle Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you for posting this question, RetiredNavyChief! I have been searching all over the Internet for information on which months are slow for bakeries, and how soon I can expect to see an uptick in sales.

We are a small bakery in PA specializing in cupcakes and mini desserts. We've been open less than a year and I have no idea what sales patterns to expect and no data for comparison. The business grew consistently from April through August, but began trending down in September. I thought we'd see a swing up as the holidays approached, but sales continue to slow. I don't know whether to blame the economy, the season, or what (we monitor social media and ratings sites, and have plenty of mechanisms for customer feedback, and our products and service garner rave reviews across the board, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with our quality.)

I would be very interested to see any further feedback on this question!

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 5:33pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you for asking this! I am feeling the same way even to the point where I called my "cupcake phone" to make sure it was working, haha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%