Strange British Cake Pans Perhaps Wwii

Lounge By kisamarie Updated 19 Nov 2011 , 5:10pm by Mietta

kisamarie Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:49am
post #1 of 8

Just curious if someone has seen or could tell me what the cake pans are. They are 3 nesting walnut shaped cake pans with tops and bottoms that slide into one another. Old pans with an England stamp on them. Thanks for the help!

7 replies
kjgjam22 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 3:08am
post #2 of 8

which cake pans? is there a link?

kisamarie Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 3:59am
post #3 of 8
lets try this one and see if it works!

de_montsoreau Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 8:00am
post #4 of 8

I stand to possibly be corrected by British CC members, but these are not cake pans, they are used for steamed puddings which are very popular in the UK.

JanH Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 8:17am
post #5 of 8

Found an antiques seller who has several makers for this mold. He describes this mold as a melon mold used for (steamed) pudding and ice cream:


kisamarie Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 12:17pm
post #6 of 8

Wow! Thanks guys, that link was very helpful. These seem to be in excellent shape, and they will make an excellent addition to my kitchen collection icon_smile.gif

kjgjam22 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 8

ice cream or jello is what i thought when i saw it too. icon_smile.gif Martha Stewart has a few different shapes. Seent hem on her show.

Mietta Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 8

Wow. Blast from the past. My grandmother used these.
DeMontsoreau is spot on. They're moulds used to make steamed pudding. (Jello moulds are different).
You lock the lid in, place it in a bain marie (water bath) and use the ring to lift it up and out.

They're still made and used in baking today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%