How Do I Make A X O (Upright) Cake

Decorating By CJayS Updated 17 Nov 2011 , 12:15am by CJayS

CJayS Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 4

My brother has asked for a X O wedding cake. It is a large X with an O behind, both upright on a ceramic cake stand. The image shows it covered in royal icing, and I know royal icing is going to help with the structure of the cake, but I am still worried about how to make this cake! any suggestions?

3 replies
lrlt2000 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 4

I'm no expert, but if I think about how I would do it, I would at a minimum (1) use the durable 3D/wedding cake recipe and (2) use ganache as my crumb coat/final coat before fondant.

As for how to stack it, I'm not sure!

lrlt2000 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 4

I would definitely stack more like this (this is not a real cake icon_wink.gif ):

http://tinyurl.com/74wz8n4

than simply turning a flat cake upright.

CJayS Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:15am
post #4 of 4

Thankyou for your help! I have had a bit of a fiddle with your suggestions and with the weather warming up and the lack of support for the cake I am worried the ganache will soften and the cake fall. I have decided to go with styrofoam. I thought maybe putting a bit of cake at the bottom of the 0 so they could cut it, but my brother has decided to have it sitting on top of another cake, so the whole thing will be styrofoam. Once again, I appreciate your advice, and will keep it in mind for future projects!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%