Fondant Melted!

Baking By Michelep Updated 15 Nov 2011 , 2:34pm by Michelep

Michelep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelep Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 6

I made pumpkin spice cupcakes with decorators cream cheese icing. I topped them with the little MMF pumpkin pie pieces from the articles section here.

Last night they looked great. This morning the pie pieces are melted. I don't know what happened. I've never had fondant melt. They were in my house and the air is set on 72 so it's not hot.

Any ideas? Thanks so much.

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 6

How did you store the cupcakes overnight? The fondant pieces probably picked up moisture from your frosting and melted that way. Gumpaste or 50/50 would have been a better medium for this project, and made way ahead of time in order to properly dry out.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 6

Cream cheese has an extremely high water content compared with regular icing, and fondant hates that. Plus, if you covered them up, them you allowed the moisture to pick on those poor little pies all night long....

Dayti's right, you should use 50/50, PLUS don't add them until right before pickup/delivery/taking them to a party.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 6

Did you use caramels for the pie part? If so, I had the same thing happen last year. Not overnight, but after a couple of days and mine was on pumpkin pie. I'm guessing it was probably a combination of the cream cheese and caramel and being in the refrigerator.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:58am
post #5 of 6

I had the same thing happen with using caramels too! Make sense now when I think about using cream cheese icing. They were so cute for the first day but then came day two and they looked like vanilla cupcakes with caramel drizzel!

Michelep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelep Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. I did put them in a covered container. I bet the moisture got them. They were still a hit even though they were soggy. I think next time I'll wait until right before serving to put the pies on.

I didn't use caramels. I used fondant for all of it. Did you guys like the caramels? I want to do that next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%