Are You Offering Cookie Trays This Year?

Business By dailey Updated 18 Nov 2011 , 3:52am by lovecakes52

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 33

Just wondering who will be offering cookie trays this year..and what you will be charging. Care to share?

32 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 33

I do Italian Cookie trays during the holidays and I charge $10.00 per pound. icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:18am
post #3 of 33

I do trays, but it's still the per batch price. They choose how many flavors.

ALENCON9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALENCON9 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 7:01am
post #4 of 33

I am thinking about Christmas cookies and what to put on my trays this year. I am considering whether or not to do a bread tray instead. A combination of a small loaves of different yeast and quick breads. Or a muffin tray with different kinds of muffins. Everyone does cookies and if I had a large amount of people I gifted, I would do that. What are you doing this year?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 11:53am
post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALENCON9

I am considering whether or not to do a bread tray instead. A combination of a small loaves of different yeast and quick breads. Or a muffin tray with different kinds of muffins.

If you're gifting people, then making something different is a very nice idea. Will you include spreads such as butter, jam, cream cheese?

But for sales, customers are always looking for cookie trays, it's a traditional part of the holidays. In terms of production and shelf life, there's also a huge difference between cookie trays and bread/muffin trays.

I make cookie trays every year. I begin production now with long shelf life bars and cookies that don't need freezing. And once the trays are finished they can sit out for a week and still taste fresh. (My shelf life testing corresponds directly with the amount of weight I gain every holiday season.)

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 12:53pm
post #6 of 33

Can I just ask what kind of trays you use? Are they plastic, styrofoam? Where do you buy them?

I need 3 or 4 large cookie trays to drop off at a fundraiser, so I'm wondering where to get a few decent ones for cheap. TIA!!!

MimiFix Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Can I just ask what kind of trays you use? Are they plastic, styrofoam? Where do you buy them?

I need 3 or 4 large cookie trays to drop off at a fundraiser, so I'm wondering where to get a few decent ones for cheap. TIA!!!

Dollar stores have a great selection. I bought large plastic oval trays that resemble cut glass. These have a rim so products can't slide off. Also, party stores sell trays with lids in the catering section, but they're more expensive. Be sure to purchase something sturdy!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 33

Thank you, MimiFix!!! I'll head over there today. icon_smile.gif

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 33

I am doing them for the first time this year. My plan is to make up the different cookie doughs, portion out, freeze and then bake as needed. That way I can offer lots of different cookies and not have to make a batch each time.

I am doing $25/4 doz and $50/8 doz assorted cookies.

MimiFix Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 1:36pm
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzylynn58

I am doing them for the first time this year. My plan is to make up the different cookie doughs, portion out, freeze and then bake as needed. That way I can offer lots of different cookies and not have to make a batch each time.

I am doing $25/4 doz and $50/8 doz assorted cookies.

Two sizes are a nice idea, customers like to have choices. Have you considered adding something extra to the larger size, or dropping the price a dollar or two, so customers have an added incentive to make a larger purchase?

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 33

Nope... couldn't pay me enough to muss with cookie trays for sale. I love making cookies with my kids, but the thought of doing them for sale makes me want to kick something cute... hard.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:08pm
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

I do Italian Cookie trays during the holidays and I charge $10.00 per pound. Very Happy

Out of curiosity, what kinds of cookies go on your tray? And why do you charge per pound? Just wondering...

Thanks!

melanie-1221 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 3:53am
post #13 of 33

I make a pistachio/ almond/ cranberry biscotti, S cookies ( butter cookie ), rainbow cookies, amaretti, macaroons, florentines, fig cookies, and anginetti's. Most of the cookies use a generous potion of almond paste which I buy by the pound so that is the basis of my pricing, then I figure in the " fluff" and come up with my per lb. $$. All of the Italian bakeries I have been to sell their cookies by the pound so I just went with it icon_smile.gif

MimiFix Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 11:41am
post #14 of 33

melanie-1221, your trays sound delicious, I want one! I'll be in Syracuse in December. Do You sell at the regional market?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 11:53am
post #15 of 33

I understand Melanie. I use a lot of almond paste too. I have also heard that Italian bakers charge by the pound for their cakes.

Would you be willing to share any of your cookie recipes? I've never made any type of Italian cookie before.

melanie-1221 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 12:53pm
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

melanie-1221, your trays sound delicious, I want one! I'll be in Syracuse in December. Do You sell at the regional market?

Thank you!
No, I'm not at the market , I have been thinking of getting a booth there for a while though. Just haven't figured out exactly what to offer and how to display it.
As of right now we deliver them anywhere within a 20 mile radius and we ship via Priority Mail out of state =) Italian cookies are a HUGE hit!

melanie-1221 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 1:08pm
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

I understand Melanie. I use a lot of almond paste too. I have also heard that Italian bakers charge by the pound for their cakes.

Would you be willing to share any of your cookie recipes? I've never made any type of Italian cookie before.

I have heard of charging by the pound for cake..I have made a few I wish I could have done that with icon_biggrin.gif

I would be happy to share my recipes, all are tried and true for generations in my family. If anyone would like them I let me know and I will get them typed up today and either messaged or e-mailed .

I will also be sharing some recipes and posting a couple tutorials to my blog in December.
icon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:02pm
post #18 of 33

Melanie, YUMM, florentines! My brother-in-law introduced me to these delicious cookies! All your cookies sound fabulous!

MimiFix Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:51pm
post #19 of 33

Whoa, melanie-1221 - I can understand giving away recipes if someone bakes and gives away, or if someone only has a local business. But you posted that you, "ship via Priority Mail out of state."

So you are potentially giving competitors the keys to your business.

melanie-1221 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 3:10pm
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Whoa, melanie-1221 - I can understand giving away recipes if someone bakes and gives away, or if someone only has a local business. But you posted that you, "ship via Priority Mail out of state."

So you are potentially giving competitors the keys to your business.

I don't mind sharing them, my business itsn't that big and since my son was born I don't have the time to grow it ( and probably never will ) . I don't advertise them, so it's word of mouth and previous clients who are my annual customers.
It all started when I made the tray for my father's company to give to their clients at holiday time...then some of his recipients contacted me to make them for their business the following year and so on and so on, and could I send them down to their family in FL , TX, CA etc.,etc.
I make about 75 -100 trays each year and can't physically do more as a 1 woman show.
icon_biggrin.gif

MimiFix Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 3:12pm
post #21 of 33

Okey doke, Melanie. I want the recipes, too.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 3:21pm
post #22 of 33

Mimi, what are the varieties of cookies/bars you offer?

I'm still trying to decide whether to offer these. And if I should offer a mix & match with Christmas candies and smaller cookies. I can easily price the larger cookies per doz, but it gets tricky when adding things like macaroons, spritz cookies, peanut butter balls peanut brittle. I thought about pricing those per pound, but haven't a clue what to price because some are more time consuming than others and some are more expensive.

Anyone have suggestions?

cookinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinqueen Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 3:28pm
post #23 of 33

I would love the recipes as well!! Thanks

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 4:01pm
post #24 of 33

melanie,
I would also love to receive your recipes! Thank you.
Phyllis

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 4:10pm
post #25 of 33

I'd love some recipes too. My grandmother used to make tons of italian cookies and it would bring back some memories.

MimiFix Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 4:28pm
post #26 of 33

dandelion, I love making trays! I make a variety of drop cookies, bars, and small colorful rolled holiday designs. I prefer using only small cookies. I looked back through my blog for pictures and helpful advice.
http://bakingfix.com/thefix/?p=915
http://bakingfix.com/thefix/?p=3168
http://bakingfix.com/thefix/?p=851
My last book, Home Baking for Profit, has more how-to instructions for putting together trays, and recipes for the poppy and cut-out cookies.

Cookie trays are very big business, especially if you go after corporate accounts.

melanie-1221 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:15pm
post #27 of 33

Here are a few of my best sellers. Enjoy!

Anginetti
COOKIE
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
6 large eggs
3 teaspoons lemon extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
ICING
6 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 tub rainbow candy sprinkles
**Preheat oven to 350°F.
For cookies: cream together sugar and shortening. Add eggs and lemon extract and beat well. Add flour, baking powder and salt; Mix well. The dough should be sticky.
Refrigerate dough for an hour ( or more ) , this will make it easier to work with.
Pinch off about a tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Place onto a slightly greased cookie sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until firm and just turning golden.
Remove cookies from cookie sheet. Cool completely on wire racks.
For icing: combine confectioners' sugar, water and lemon extract and mix until smooth.
Dip the tops of cookies into the icing and place on waxed paper.
Before icing sets, dip in dish of rainbow candy sprinkles .Allow cookies to dry before stacking. Store in an airtight container. Makes approx. 48 cookies

Cranberry Almond Pistachio Biscotti
INGREDIENTS
1 lb unsalted butter, softened
4 cups granulated sugar
8 eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (1 oz) bottle almond extract
1 cup slivered almond
8 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups dried cranberries
2 cups pistachio nuts
***Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl mix the first 7 ingredients until well blended. Stir in the flour one cup at a time.
When blended, mix in cranberries & pistachios.
Pat the dough into a smooth log .Cut it into quarters. Shape each section into a seamless loaf about 2 inches thick and to whatever width you would like the biscotti to be. Place two of the loaves on a parchment covered baking sheet.
Bake loaves for 45 minutes, check often. If they are spreading too much, pull them out and reshape with a spatula.
Remove loaves from the oven & allow them to cool. When cool, cut each loaf into 1" slices .Place the slices back on the baking sheet, standing up and then bake them for another 10 minutes or so.
Remove biscotti from the oven & cool them completely. Store them in an air tight container.

Italian Wedding Cookies (aka Rainbow Cookies )
1 pound almond paste
3 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
8 eggs
2 teaspoons almond extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
green food coloring
yellow food coloring
red food coloring
2 (12 ounce) jars seedless raspberry jam
2 (12 ounce) packages semisweet chocolate chips, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Crumble almond paste into a large mixing bowl, and beat in butter, sugar, eggs, and almond extract until light and fluffy. Mix in in the flour and salt. Separate batter into three equal portions, mix green food coloring into 1, yellow in another, and red in the last. Make cure colors are pretty dark. Spread each portion out to 1/4 inch thickness into the bottom of parchment lines jelly roll pan. ***I use the disposable aluminum baking sheets .
Bake each layer for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
On a cookie sheet stack the cakes, spreading jam on top of the green layer, stack the yellow on top of the green layer, cover with jam, then top with the red layer. Spread melted chocolate over top of the third layer. Chill until jam and chocolate are firm. Slice into small rectangles
Makes approximately 72 cookies

Italian S Cookies

1 ½ cups Butter Flavor Crisco
1 ½ cups sugar
6 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
6 cups flour
6 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
Blend Eggs and sugar, add shortening.
Sift flower, baking powder and salt together. Add to wet ingredients.
Mix with a spoon and knead with your hands until well blended.
Fill a cookie press fitted with a large star tip and press out in an S shape on a parchment lined cookie sheet. I make my Ss about 2 inches tall.
Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes until golden.
Cookies should be soft, not crispy. Sprinkle with granulated sugar while they are still hot.
Makes 7-8 dozen.

Florentines
Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup ground pecans
1 cup flour
1 cup chocolate chips

*** Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a food processor, pulse the pecans until they resemble fine crumbs. Do not to over grind you will end up with paste.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and the corn syrup. Bring to boil.
Remove from the heat and add the ground pecans, and flour. Mix well.
Drop teaspoonfuls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until brown around the edges and lace-like in appearance.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Transfer to wire rack.
Place chocolate chips in a small plastic bag. Immerse the bag into barely simmering water until the chips melt. Once the chips are melted, snip a small corner off the bag. Pipe a chocolate squiggle onto each cookie.
Allow chocolate to harden before storing cookies
Makes approx. 24 cookies

Amaretti Cookies
8 ounces almond paste
1 cup superfine or castor sugar
2 large egg whites
Confectioners sugar for dusting cookies

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F . Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Break the almond paste into small pieces and place in bowl with the sugar. Mix on low speed until very fine. Add the egg whites in three additions, mixing well after each addition. Continue mixing the dough until very smooth, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Fill the pastry bag, fitted with a 1/2 inch plain tip ,with the almond mixture.
Pipe 1 1/2 inch mounds onto the parchment paper, spacing about 1 inch apart.
With a damp paper towel and lightly press the top of each cookie to press in the piping tail and smooth out the surface
Bake for 12 minutes, or until they have risen, are golden and have tiny cracks.
Remove from the oven and place baking pan on a rack to cool. When cool gently peel cookies from parchment.
Dust with confectioners sugar.
Makes about 40 cookies

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:18pm
post #28 of 33

That was so awesome of you to share!!!!! I am so excited!!! I still don't know how you bust out all those trays by yourself. icon_biggrin.gif

melanie-1221 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:31pm
post #29 of 33

I mix a couple days ahead of time and refrigerate the dough ( the ones I am able to ) then pull it out and bake non stop sun up to sun down for 4 days to get them all done.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:11pm
post #30 of 33

Melanie ~ Thanks so much for sharing your recipes! I live in the south and have never had any of these cookies. I may have to try a couple!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%