What Brand Food Coloring For Red Velvet

Baking By krumbledkakes Updated 14 Nov 2011 , 12:24pm by scp1127

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 3:14am
post #1 of 10

I have never made it before and I'm making one for a birthday party this weekend.

I've read a few times on the forums that the food coloring made the red velvet taste icky, but I can't recall the brand it was or the brand that was recommended in its place. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

9 replies
MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 3:43am
post #2 of 10

I know some of the Wilton colors have a bad taste, red and pink. For red velvet I have a large bottle of red food color by ACC Distributors, Inc. Fook Service Distribution. It is a 32 oz bottles, so if making CakeMan Ravens redvelvet it will make 32 cakes. It cost me less than $16.

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 3:53am
post #3 of 10

Well good thing I asked because Wilton is what I have! Ty ty ty!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 3:57am
post #4 of 10
MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 4:47am
post #5 of 10

I use Chef Quality Red Food Coloring. I get it from Restaurant Depot.

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 5:09am
post #6 of 10

i can only buy wilton locally unless i order online so i usually use wilton, however if you do make sure you buy the NO TASTE red.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 8:00am
post #7 of 10

I use Cakeman's recipe and I just use McCormick. I use much less than he does and it's still vibrant red.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 9:15am
post #8 of 10

I was just thinking about this earlier today....Has anyone ever tried the Americolor Red ... ?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 12:13pm
post #9 of 10

I bought a big bottle at GFS and it tastes fine. Plus, it was soooooo much cheaper by the ounce than McCormick was at my grocery store.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 12:24pm
post #10 of 10

One time I ran out of McCormick between layers, had to get a store brand (the store was out), and the color was a muddy reddish brown. It was a wedding cake and I had to re-bake it. I think Sam's has McCormick. I have it included into my recipe as part of the liquid, even though I cut it, so I just haven't tried gel, but I have read that it works just fine. I'm thinking of making it blue for my grandson's first birthday next Monday. If I do, I'll use gel and post the results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%