Cupcakes Will Save You Money Over Buying A Wedding Cake

Lounge By cownsj Updated 15 Nov 2011 , 6:26pm by GeminiRJ

cownsj Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 23

I have TLC on and have been listening to it as I'm busy around the house. I couldn't believe when TLC, between programs, gave brides a tip. They suggested that brides should get cupcakes instead of a wedding cake because it will save them money. How is that they don't know enough to know that is not an accurate statement? At least, not if you want a wedding quality cupcake and display.

22 replies
tiggy2 Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 23

I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to get dressed up for a wedding and eat a cupcake with my hands. Nothing like frosting and crumbs all over.

cheeseball Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

How is that they don't know enough to know that is not an accurate statement?



Lots of people make definitive statements on different subjects without knowing what they're talking about. I have been known on occasion to be one. Never on tv though icon_lol.gif

jason_kraft Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 23

In many cases wedding cupcakes can save money over a multi-tiered wedding cake, simply because cupcake decorations tend to be less elaborate and labor-intensive.

Barb00 Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 23

Since there seems to be some recent discussions regarding eating cupcakes with your hands I think I am going to eat my next cupcake with a fork or knife and fork if needed. There must be a suitable way to do this!

spring Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 23

The cupcake tip is right up there with the styrofoam cake tip...just goes to show, you can't believe everything you read or hear on tv.


Minette

lilmissbakesalot Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 23

Cupcakes won't save you unless you get them simply with a swirl... Even if it is just a simple cutout fondant flower... it gets pricy when you think you have to make 150+ of the little buggers rather than just make a hanful to decorate the cake. When you get into formed fondant flowers it goes up and up and up. Plus... Glenda is right... no one wants to get all dressed up to peel and eat a cupcake.

People have no clue, and when they hear joe schmoe baker on TV say so it MUST be true right??? Ugh.

nhbaker Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 23

Yeah, and did you know that you can mix, bake, make icing, fillings, fill & decorate over 1000 cupcakes in two hours. Oh, yeah, and have someone build you an entire gigantic display (painted!) too. No?? Sure, you can, they do it on Cupcake Wars!

I hate that show --- seriously? I can't do 48 cupcakes from start to finish in 2 hours! (by myself) And last I checked, paint doesn't dry in two hours!

These shows are so misleading, and because "it's on TV" everyone thinks it's the truth! UUgggghhh, sometimes they drive me INSANE!

MimiFix Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseball

Lots of people make definitive statements on different subjects without knowing what they're talking about. I have been known on occasion to be one. Never on tv though icon_lol.gif




Thanks cheeseball, I'm still laughing...

cakelady2266 Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 23

I'll be glad when this whole cupcake wedding craze blows over, again. I keep getting this from brides "I want to go with cupcakes because I want to be different" different from what I want to know. The cupcake craze went around in the mid to late 90's. So it's not new or different or cheaper. Unless you are getting them from a grocery store cupcakes usually won't be cheaper than cake.

And every cupcake I've ever seen for weddings had enough icing on them to choke a horse. But it is funny as hell to watch people walking around with icing on their noses after taking a big bite. There really is no graceful way to eat a cupcake without a fork.

Osgirl Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 12:14am
post #11 of 23

Whenever I've been to a wedding with cupcakes, there are always plates and forks. icon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 2:10am
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

.......

And every cupcake I've ever seen for weddings had enough icing on them to choke a horse. But it is funny as hell to watch people walking around with icing on their noses after taking a big bite. There really is no graceful way to eat a cupcake without a fork.





Seriously, what is up with that?? I put a very conservative amount of icing on my cupcakes so they can be eaten without getting instant diabetes. I commonly see cupcakes with the icing higher than the cake is thick. It makes my teeth hurt looking at them. Yes it's cute but not to eat!

jason_kraft Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 3:06am
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osgirl

Whenever I've been to a wedding with cupcakes, there are always plates and forks. icon_smile.gif



Same here, we've done a few cupcake weddings and the venue has always plated them with forks just as they would a regular slice of cake.

tiggy2 Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 4:56am
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osgirl

Whenever I've been to a wedding with cupcakes, there are always plates and forks. icon_smile.gif


Same here, we've done a few cupcake weddings and the venue has always plated them with forks just as they would a regular slice of cake.


How else would they get their plating fee?

jason_kraft Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 6:49am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osgirl

Whenever I've been to a wedding with cupcakes, there are always plates and forks. icon_smile.gif


Same here, we've done a few cupcake weddings and the venue has always plated them with forks just as they would a regular slice of cake.

How else would they get their plating fee?



I've never seen a venue charge a plating fee for cupcakes, although I'm sure some do. Most of the brides who order cupcakes tend to use smaller scale, more informal venues that do not charge plating fees.

esq1031 Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 11:57am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbaker

Yeah, and did you know that you can mix, bake, make icing, fillings, fill & decorate over 1000 cupcakes in two hours. Oh, yeah, and have someone build you an entire gigantic display (painted!) too. No?? Sure, you can, they do it on Cupcake Wars!

I hate that show --- seriously? I can't do 48 cupcakes from start to finish in 2 hours! (by myself) And last I checked, paint doesn't dry in two hours!

These shows are so misleading, and because "it's on TV" everyone thinks it's the truth! UUgggghhh, sometimes they drive me INSANE!




OMG, nhbaker, I thought I was the only one that got crazy over this show. I am in the same boat as you. It takes me two hours to get through one recipe, let alone 1000 cupcakes, icing, decorations, coming up with a display plus teaching your recipes to the four bakers they give you as "help". If you have ever spent a minute in the kitchen baking, you would know that Cupcake Wars is a fraud! Tell me why I still watch it? LOL

lilmissbakesalot Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 2:06pm
post #17 of 23

If the venue is providing forks and plates for the cupcakes they are most likely tacking on a "cutting fee". It's how they get th $$$ to cover the dishwasher and extra waitstaff to take care of it all. Some won't spell it out for you, but they ALL have a fee to cover it.

GeminiRJ Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 6:16pm
post #18 of 23

Yes, I agree that Cupcake Wars is unrealistic...but I still watch it! I can't believe anyone agrees to be on it, though. But I have to have my decorating fix somehow. I quit watching the Food Channels's cake challenges when they started playing games with the competitors. ("We've taken your cake and hidden it somewhere in the building" giggle, giggle "now you have to go find it". Or "We're dropping you off in this park and you can't come back to the studio until you've found a package we've hidden somewhere." HATE these!)

lilmissbakesalot Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:03pm
post #19 of 23

I was called to send in a submission for Cupcake Wars... I politely declined. I can't stand that show. The guy who commentates is completely annoying.

kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 4:04pm
post #20 of 23

.........I can't stand that show. The guy who commentates is completely annoying.............

Isn't he? icon_sad.gif I also can't stand that judge guy w/the French(?) name/accent. I can never understand what he is saying icon_sad.gif BUT........ like many others I still watch it icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 4:26pm
post #21 of 23

Florian is the French guy. The commentator doesn't bother me near as much as Claire on the cake challenges! A little less drama would be appreciated....I really miss "Ultimate Cake"!!!!

lilmissbakesalot Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:20pm
post #22 of 23

I miss the old days when it wasn't all just a set up to fail you know? Now they throw you in... no idea what the heck is going on and you have to produce a cake for some spoiled brat kid or something. What happened to having the best of the best bring their best to the table and judging them on that?

GeminiRJ Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:26pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

I miss the old days when it wasn't all just a set up to fail you know? Now they throw you in... no idea what the heck is going on and you have to produce a cake for some spoiled brat kid or something. What happened to having the best of the best bring their best to the table and judging them on that?




That's why I like "Ultimate Cakes". No curveballs, no games. Just cake! Design it, make it, deliver it, get paid for it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%