Black Fondant Or Spray Paint Black? Your Advice Please ;)

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 13 Nov 2011 , 4:43pm by melanie-1221

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a 'tire' cake next month .... trying to decide if it needs to be covered in black fondant (which I'd have to buy) or if I can cover it in white (make MMF) and then spray paint it black?

But not sure how it will look spray painted? Or if black fondant will look much better?

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 5

I tint my fondant grey and then spray it balck..easier than using so much coloring to get it black.I've tried Satin Ice and it was very crumbly and dry.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 5

Black fondant all the way!!!

Nellical Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nellical Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 5

We use Satin Ice in our bakery. I try to stay away from airbrush as much as possible for a couple of reasons. One: it gets EVERYWHERE! No matter how much you try to contain it, it goes all over the place. I hate having to find spraypaint later when I'm working with white fondant. Two: If the cake gets sweaty, the paint can run. Three: You can't go back in to make adjustments or fix any mistakes. Once you spray, it has to stay. You cannot wipe or brush to clean it up. I will not deliver a cake that is not cleaned up or sloppy.

We use the black fondant from Satin Ice, purchased from Jester's in Orlando since they have a better price than anyone I've found, even with shipping, about $70 for 20 pounds. We are in FLorida and it gets to us the next day with ground shipping. There is surely a closer outlet to you.

You can help the handling capabilities of your fondant by adding modeling chocolate to it. The ratio is 3 to 1. If you want to end up with 4 pounds of material, add 1 pound of modeling chocolate to 3 pounds fondant. For black, I use dark chocolate to make the modeling chocolate. If you can't use chocolate ( some people have allergies to dark chocolate), you can use white chocolate or black candy melts to make the modeling chocolate. It adds fat to the fondant as well as adding some body to the fondant which makes it less likely to dry and crack. In summer it also helps stave off some of the humidilty.

Roll out your fondant to 1/16th of an inch. The thinner the better. Remember that what is underneath the fondant is equally as important than the fondant. It has to be exactly sculpted correctly to make that fondant go on easier and look the best.

Best wishes.

Nel

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 5

I would use black fondant. Easier in terms of color and I think would have a great texture to replicate a tire.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%