Fondant Accents Melted On Buttercream Cupcakes.

Baking By goodnightelizabeth Updated 14 Nov 2011 , 2:29pm by Lemmers

goodnightelizabeth  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodnightelizabeth Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:07am
post #1 of 6

Placed cute little fondant flowers on some cupcakes frosted with a butter based buttercream frosting; placed them in the fridge to keep cool until delivery(perishable filling) in those plastic cupcake holders that hold 12.

2 hours or so later when I went to take them out, it was as if they were in the oven; melted, sliding off, runny....slightly recognizable as a flower. Anyone else had this problem or know what I did wrong?

I know fondant can sweat, but this was beyond sweating....not to mention it was while IN the fridge that this disaster happened, not after I took them out. icon_cry.gif

5 replies
 melanie-1221  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:37am
post #2 of 6

I had an incident similar to yours the first time I did cupcakes .Did you use any gumpaste in your flowers? I found that adding gumpaste to my fondant helps a little in " sweat " situations. Also if I have any cupcakes that need to stay cold I wait until the last minute to put the fondant/gumpaste accents on if possible. Sorry this happened to you icon_sad.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:39am
post #3 of 6

This has happened to me before when I put cupcakes (with decorations) in a sealed container. I think the air needs to get at them, so a box may be better.

tiggy2  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:40am
post #4 of 6

My guess is the container you put them in, it held too much moisture in.

Chonte  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:43am
post #5 of 6

happens all the time i think the fondant absorbs moisture from the buttercream and then it starts to get soft. i agree with mixing in some gumpaste. let the flowers dry out and put them on at the last minute. HTH

Lemmers  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 6

Yep I had the same with fondant blossoms- they were just out on the counter as well, but they seemed to take in moisture from the buttercream and wilted icon_sad.gif

I now know to wait until the last moment to put them on!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%