Fondant Accents Melted On Buttercream Cupcakes.

Baking By goodnightelizabeth Updated 14 Nov 2011 , 2:29pm by Lemmers

goodnightelizabeth Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:07am
post #1 of 6

Placed cute little fondant flowers on some cupcakes frosted with a butter based buttercream frosting; placed them in the fridge to keep cool until delivery(perishable filling) in those plastic cupcake holders that hold 12.

2 hours or so later when I went to take them out, it was as if they were in the oven; melted, sliding off, runny....slightly recognizable as a flower. Anyone else had this problem or know what I did wrong?

I know fondant can sweat, but this was beyond sweating....not to mention it was while IN the fridge that this disaster happened, not after I took them out. icon_cry.gif

5 replies
melanie-1221 Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:37am
post #2 of 6

I had an incident similar to yours the first time I did cupcakes .Did you use any gumpaste in your flowers? I found that adding gumpaste to my fondant helps a little in " sweat " situations. Also if I have any cupcakes that need to stay cold I wait until the last minute to put the fondant/gumpaste accents on if possible. Sorry this happened to you icon_sad.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:39am
post #3 of 6

This has happened to me before when I put cupcakes (with decorations) in a sealed container. I think the air needs to get at them, so a box may be better.

tiggy2 Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:40am
post #4 of 6

My guess is the container you put them in, it held too much moisture in.

Chonte Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:43am
post #5 of 6

happens all the time i think the fondant absorbs moisture from the buttercream and then it starts to get soft. i agree with mixing in some gumpaste. let the flowers dry out and put them on at the last minute. HTH

Lemmers Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 6

Yep I had the same with fondant blossoms- they were just out on the counter as well, but they seemed to take in moisture from the buttercream and wilted icon_sad.gif

I now know to wait until the last moment to put them on!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%