What Would You Do?

Decorating By GracieCakesandCupcakes Updated 13 Nov 2011 , 1:00pm by tokazodo

GracieCakesandCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GracieCakesandCupcakes Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 6

So I have had a cake order for next weekend for a few months now and it happens to be for a friend of mine. She called a month ago to tell me she doesn't know exactly what day and what she wants me to make so I told her I need to know 2 weeks in advance as I am planning my own daughters 3rd birthday and I have another cake order besides on the same weekend. I have not heard from her since.

I have called and left a message, I have sent her 2 text messages, and 3 messages on facebook to find out what she wants for next weekend with no reply, I think she fell off the planet. If you were in my position would you assume she no longer wants the cake, cancel the order, try calling again?

I have told her that if I don't hear from her in the next day or so I would not have sufficient time to prepare for the order and I would assume she no longer wants it. I even tried giving her an easy out by saying if she doesn't want the cake any more just let me know, no hard feelings. Should I be the one to harass her or just leave it alone?

5 replies
Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 6

I would leave it alone, I had a lady ask me about making cookies for a baby shower so I gave her my info. She never called whatever I got to spend more time with the kids and DH! Think about it do you know of any other bakery anywhere that calls you to see if you need a cake?

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 6

So this was a verbal order? If there was no contract, deposit and final payment made, then there's no order.

I would save all of the messages that you've sent to her and forget about it.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 6:36am
post #4 of 6

Leave it alone. You have gone beyond the call of duty to check with her on the potential order. Sometimes people are too embarrassed to call back or they just don't care.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 10:44am
post #5 of 6

Your last paragraph says enough. If no money has changed hands which I'm guessing it hasn't then forget it!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 6

I had one of these recently. I was contacted through facebook. Facebook e-mail is not reliable. I contacted the customer and left a message. I always try to leave it in concrete terms so there is no misunderstanding.

"I was calling to see if you were still interested in a cake. I have other pending cake orders and if I do not hear from you by noon Wednesday, then I am sorry, I will not be able to make your cake."

And if I don't hear from anyone, no cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%