3Rd Sponge Disaster

Baking By angelcakessouthampton Updated 12 Nov 2011 , 11:04pm by carmijok

angelcakessouthampton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakessouthampton Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 3

hi ive just had my 3rd cake in a row returned, can u help me??? this is what im doing, day 1 i bake the cake, its cooked properly and left to cool on cake rack, day 2, cut cake and jam middle, buttercream and later ice, on day 3 i decorate and give to customer, everything seems to be going well untill they cut the cake and its then really moist and kind of wet in the middle of the cake, the outside looks fab, but the middle is kind of darker in colour to the edges of the sponge and it looks like ive soaked it in water,my recipe is the same, and ive not changed anything. ive never had a problem up until the the last three cakes ive made, im so disappointed what am i doing wrong??

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 3

Since you are in the UK many of us really cannot help icon_sad.gif
It does sound to me like you are using a filling (jam) that is 'wet'. You might have to thicken it up by cooking some cornstarch & water to mix into it.

You say the cakes have been returned. Do you mean the client is returning them saying there is something wrong wiht them?

Could it be they are not baking properly? Maybe there is something wrong w/your oven. Have it check out. If it's electric one of the elements might need to be replaced.

For more/better help you might need to post your recipe. Maybe someone over there will know better.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 3

First check your oven temp.

If your cake was cooked properly when you torted it, then it could be your filling. Put a thin layer of buttercream before you top with the filling to stop it from absorbing into the cake. You might even do that to the underside of the next layer so as not to have it soak into the top layer.

If you are applying simple syrup...you didn't say...but if you are, stop.

Beyond that, you should post your recipe to see if someone can see a problem. good luck! HTH! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%