Elf On The Shelf, Ideas?

Lounge By JaeRodriguez Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 4:45pm by myslady

JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 9

So I just got our family an Elf on The Shelf, I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 1/2 year old. Obviously the younger one is still to young to understand at all but the 2 1/2 year old will be able to grasp it.

I've goggled ideas for mischief and gifts and just things the elf can do in general but most seem geared towards kids that are a bit older. Does anyone have any great ideas for toddlers?

Thanks!

8 replies
myslady Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 9

Before your post i had never heard of it. What kind of games are you supposed to play with him. If you give me some examples i may be able to come up with a few ideas.

JaeRodriguez Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 9

Well, he basically is Santa's elf and he is supposed to move every night to a different place in the house so when the kids get up they go hunt for him. Just kind of a cute game to play.

So far, I bought 3 Christmas books for him to be "reading" on different mornings, a Christmas DVD too. I am going to have him riding their train set one morning. Somewhere it said to make cookies but then leave a little mess with footprints in the flour and him sitting with the cookies, one said to put green food coloring in the toilet and make it like he went to the bathroom, toilet paper mess etc. These are all ones that I feel like my kids would get, but then some of them like a lot of people make snow angels with flour on the kitchen counter but my kids would have no clue what that was! lol

Does that help?

myslady Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 9

I understand now. For the snow example i would leave the flour angel and say that he likes to play in the snow at home and have the kids draw a picture or help decorate the windows with snow.

How many days are you planning to do the activities..

JaeRodriguez Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 9

I haven't made up my mind how long to keep it going for! A lot of people do the whole month of december, or even the day after thanksgiving but I'm not sure if I can keep it up that long! :]

myslady Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 9:47am
post #6 of 9

- with the kids having to search for the elf, a flashlight hunt may be fun.

- little gifts in their mittens

- go out to see christmas lights (although this may be expensive given the price of gas icon_smile.gif )

- you can add food color to the cookies for special elf cookies

- if you know how to sew, you can make them elf shoes

- have the elf help the kids to different holiday activities and take pictures, sort of like this idea: http://www.maryannjenkins.com/2011/10/its-beginning-to-look-lot-like.html

- plan a scanvenger hunt

- have the elf and kids help clean up the mice: http://www.marthastewart.com/273608/candy-cane-mice

- you said that you plan to have the elf ride on the kids train, this would be a fun snack to go with that activity: http://www.gourmetmomonthego.com/2010/12/elf-tinker-toy-snacks.html

- reindeer food (oatmeal, sprinkles, beans, etc) to go with santa's cookies and milk

kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 9

........elf and kids help clean up the mice: http://www.marthastewart.com/2.....-cane-mice.............

OH my goodness!! I was just cleaning through my Christmas things preparing to move and came across one of these mice that was given to one of my DDs some 40 yrs (?) ago! Can you believe that? I'm a pack rat....I saved most of my kids homemade cards, ornaments etc all these years. The oldest one is 51 now icon_smile.gif

mariacakestoo Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 9

Elf on the Shelf creeps me out! Watch out kids, the elf is watching YOU! While you SLEEP! Don't put a toe out of line, or you won't get presents! Nevermind that you should be good ALL the time...ugh....big brother starts young with this story. icon_biggrin.gif

myslady Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 9

Thats too funny kakeladi. Its amazing how what we think may be new has already been done many years ago.

The idea of the elf doesnt really bother me. I took it as a friend coming to help prepare for the holidays. However with this being the age of technology and cameras are everywhere, everything we do is recorded. Might as well learn it while young.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%