How Do I Use Rice Crispy Cereal?

Decorating By abbytrahan Updated 12 Nov 2011 , 3:50pm by MelissaJeane

abbytrahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbytrahan Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making the mickey mouse clubhouse for my son's 2nd birthday. I'm going to make the grass the actual cake but would love to know how to make the clubhouse. I know the best bet is to use rice crispy and to mold it into the shape I want. What receipe do I use? How far in advance should I start? Do I put buttercream icing on the treats, let it dry and then add the fondant? If so what time frame am I looking at? I've never done this before so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Abby

3 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 4

I use the regular rice cereal treat recipe with the generic rice cereal:

http://www.ricekrispies.com/recipes/the-original-treats.aspx#/recipes/the-original-treats

Sometimes, if I know they're going to be eaten I will make the RCT with peanut butter or chocolate.

I usually start my RCT elements a week in advance, but they can be done the day before in a pinch.

The kayak here was made 10 days in advance, but I had a lot of RCT elements for that cake and the surface of the kayak had to be as perfect as possible. I shaped it and let it rest for 24 hours, then took a very sharp knife to it to shave the surface smooth:

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011/05/bonne-fete-dan.html

But the teddy bear here was made the day of because I made it on a whim. I thought the slightly uneven surface added to the 'soft' stuffed toy look:

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2010/12/un-gateau-de-chocolat-couvert-en.html

Because I wanted a smooth surface for the kayak, I covered it with melted candy melts and smoothed it as much as possible. Then I put a thin layer of buttercream and covered it with the fondant. For the teddy bear I used only a thin layer of buttercream between the RCT and the fondant. I find that if I let the buttercream crust too much the fondant doesn't stick as well as if I apply the fondant to the buttercream while it is still 'wet'.

HTH

shazza666 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shazza666 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 4

I dont know if you have a kroger near you but I bought their mega Krispie treats they are $1 each and use them if I am in a hurry, I made a football out of it but as they are already flat would be easy to make a house out of them

MelissaJeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaJeane Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 4

I make the batch size i need and dump them on wax paper sprayed with non stick. I let them sit for a few minutes and then begin to shape them . Food service Gloves sprayed with the nonstick spray or some butter will help. Once I have my shape I let them sit up over night. I wouldn't allow the to sit to long or they will get stale and will not taste good. I have a large zester I use to smooth the surface if it is neccesary for the design. Wait until they have set up to do this or they will falll apart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%