Fall Cake Flavor And Filling Ideas Please

Baking By josefina20 Updated 15 Nov 2011 , 5:31am by josefina20

josefina20 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 8:44am
post #1 of 10

I have to make a cake for my son's school fall party.

Any recipe out there for a good Cake and filling that can be out of the refrigerator for long period of time without going bad ?????

icon_confused.gif please

9 replies
melanie-1221 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 10:53am
post #2 of 10

I have been using a Maple Buttercream quite a bit this fall with spice ,apple, and just plain vanilla cake.

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons of real Maple Syrup
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Whip up as you would regular buttercream adding more cream or maple to taste and texture you are looking for.

josefina20 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 10

thanks melanie, can this buttercream, be out of the refrigerator?

melanie-1221 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, this will hold up without refrigeration in cooler temperatures without any problem.

Jennifer353 Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 10

I made this cake for a friend and it was really nice.
When I had a little of it (I made effectively 2 cupcakes to sample!) it tasted a bit "healthy" but the next morning when we had a piece at my friend's it tasted really good and you would never know it was fairly healthy.

I put it in 2 8" tins because I didnt have a bundt pan and filled it with applesauce with cinnamon and rasins in it because my friend is lactose intollerent so couldn't have the glaze. It tasted nice but for children I'd probably go with the glaze on top and flavoured buttercream for filling.

I happened to have some leftover buttercream which I put on my pieces of the cake and it was really good so the recipe definately goes with flavoured buttercream!
(My buttercream was butter, powered sugar and a dry mix called "cream cheese frosting" I had got as part of a pumpkin whoopie mix so I don't really know what it was)

josefina20 Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 10

Jennifer353 thanks for this recipe, i just looked into the web site, and this cake look yummy icon_smile.gif . When you said " dry mix cream cheese frosting" what is that?

chelleb1974 Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 10

I have made a pumpkin spice cake with a pudding filling.

I believe I just added a can of pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling) to a standard spice cake mix and the other ingredients that normally go into it.

For the filling, I have made the pumpkin spice pudding (with half the milk called for) and folded it into my standard buttercream. I've also used cheesecake pudding and chocolate pudding. I've never had any complaints icon_smile.gif

For a frosting, I usually use the whipped cream buttercream recipe here on CC, or Bettercreme. Something with a whipped cream taste seems to go well with it.

Though I don't usually agree with her recipe's, Hungry Girl mixed a box of cake mix with a can of pumpkin (and nothing else) and the resulting cupcakes looked really good. I bought butter yellow cake mix and a can of pumpkin to try it out for Thanksgiving. Planning on using Bettercreme to ice them.

I would personally not worry about the pudding/buttercream filling sitting out. I've had cake sitting on the counter for a few days and not had the filling go bad.

Jennifer353 Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 10
Originally Posted by josefina20

Jennifer353 thanks for this recipe, i just looked into the web site, and this cake look yummy icon_smile.gif . When you said " dry mix cream cheese frosting" what is that?

The cake was very tasty icon_smile.gif I think I might try adding rasins to it if I was making it again.

I'm afraid I cant help very well with what it really is because it just came in a box.
I live in England but was in the San Francisco for vacation and bought a mix for Pumpkin pie whoopie pies which included cream cheese filling. The box just had two sachets of powder labelled. I had to add oil and a few things to the pie sachet, mix bake etc and to the other sachet I added butter and powdered sugar. According to the box it was cream cheese filling mix. I tried looking at the ingredients but most of them I didnt recognise. It tasted like flavoured buttercream (unsurprisingly considering the ingredients!). I kept the front of the box so can check the brand name tonight if that is any help?

kakeladi Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 10

Seems to me there was another thread on this same ? with lots of ideas. You might try searching for it.
I like butterpecan, applesauce or spice cake; filling can be bavarian creme, apple spice (pie filling w/cinnoman); or spiced b'cream.

And that cake mix with pumpkin added is YUMMMMY icon_smile.gif It is a very heavy, moist and oh, so good cake.

josefina20 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 5:31am
post #10 of 10

oki, i god a spice cake mix. so how can i make a pumpkin spice cake with using a mix? ( the recipe please)

sorry, but in my country pumpkin with do not have pumpkin, so for me using it is really new.

thanks for all of your ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%