Epic Fail With Cake Balls/pops. How Do I....

Baking By Jknoxcake2011 Updated 12 Nov 2011 , 8:10pm by peanut2

Jknoxcake2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jknoxcake2011 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 5:21am
post #1 of 5

Ok I made some cake balls, no prob ( used a bit of buttercream icing and some coffee creamer as a binder, it seemed to really hold it together). the fail came when time to dip... How to dip to get them pretty? What are you dipping them in? If putting them on a stick, how in world do you keep them on the stick?
I dipped mine in white chocolate but maybe it keept getting too cool...had it in a glass bowl I kept rewarming In the microwave. Is there a better way? Do I need to freeze the balls first? Mine were refrigerated for a couple of hours.
I used 3 packages of white baking chocolate but it seemed like it wasn't nearly enough icon_sad.gif
Does anyone "thin" the chocolate out with anything? Ami using the wrong kind of chocolate to dip?
Some of them looked good on the stick but the white chocolate started drooping down off the stick, clearly in excess....

So frustrated.. The hubby has a photography business and was wanting to take pics of the cake pops. Oh, the ugly cake pops.
Any Ideas folks? Any tidbits are greatly appreciated, this seems harder than it looks!

4 replies
FabricGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabricGal Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 10:21am
post #2 of 5

Hi! There are A LOT of different threads about this very topic! You might want to do a search for cake pops on this site. In some of the responses in the threads, you'll even find links to How-To videos that are quite helpful!

I usually dip mine in Mercken's chocolate "disks" or I use chocolate "almond bark." If it looks too thick, I'll melt a little bit of Crisco in with it. The chocolate stays melty for a fairly long time. I don't think I've ever used white baking chocolate or baking chocolate (if you mean those little one inch squares in a thin, rectangular box), so I can't say if that is the problem or not.

I don't melt a lot at one time. One of the posters here recommended melting the chocolate in the microwave in small increments of time, then stirring and stirring once it gets melty, then putting it back in the MW for maybe another 30 seconds, then stirring it and stirring it for at least 30 seconds etc. and that works great for me! I put my chocolate in a regular soup bowl--sometimes, I've used my 1-Cup glass measuring cup and the chocolate disks come up to maybe the 1/2 C mark.

Before dipping the balls, I dip the end of the stick in melted chocolate, then I put this into the cake ball and refrigerate it for about 10 minutes. That seems to make the stick adhere to the inside of the cake ball...the chocolate kinda acts like glue and the chilling sets it up more firmly.

I tried melting a pricey white chocolate candy bar once...it didn't melt well at all! White chocolate has different components than regular chocolate.

Do a search and I think you'll find some answers and some ideas that will help you with this!

HTH

Jknoxcake2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jknoxcake2011 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much for you reply. I browsed some of the cake ball threads And saw the link to bakerella, I just bought her cake pops book on my iBooks. I'm glad you mentioned the disks bc that's what she uses, too. The white choc I had bought was not good for dipping, not even or strawberries. It was horrid.

I think I'm going to try wiltons candy melts as an alternative since I know try are in chip form. Printing my Michaels coupon and off I go!

Thanks again!

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 5

I just recently had the same problem even with the wilton's candy melts but I finnaly figured out what I was doing wrong and why they weren't a pretty shape...I wasn't putting them in the freezer like bakerella recomends before dipping them...

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 5

Whenever I work with chocolate, I set the bowl of melted chocolate on a heating pad. I do the same when I'm piping with chocolate, I put the bag on the mat. It really helps keep the chocolate from cooling off too fast.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%