How To Package Fondant And Gumpaste Figures And Flowers

Decorating By jem2131 Updated 12 Nov 2011 , 3:44pm by cakeyouverymuch

jem2131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jem2131 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 5:18am
post #1 of 7

Hello all,

So i was wondering how do you all package fondant and gumpaste figurines that you make to send by mail ?
I would love to send some of my figures through mail and i really need all the help i can get.. what kind of packaging system would i need to do this.. please help !!!

6 replies
jem2131 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 7

sorry had to bump this up.. i really hope their is someone out there that can help me out..thanks in advance

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 7

Roll them in toilet paper. Sounds weird but I've transported lots of gumpaste flowers like that with NO breakage!! icon_lol.gif

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 7

Find your self a sturdy container with a lid. Then place your flower/figure on a "bed" of fiberfill ( used to stuff pillows, blankets, etc.), then wrap it around the flowers leafs, petals, and anything else that needs support, then cover it all with enough stuffing so that the lid has to be taped down.
I actually used one of those plastic containers that you get for take-out orders, did the above, put it in my suitcase, and even after a plane change,
my flowers arrived perfectly. They were a stargazer lily, an orchid, and a briar rose. HTH! Good luck!

jem2131 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 7

oo wow thanks alot guys !!! I was planning to send them through a mail carrier and i just want to make sure all my items get there safe.. if anyone else has any other ideas i would be more than glad to hear them as well.. thank you to the ones that responded so far icon_smile.gif

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 7

I am normally frugal but I bought the more expensive organic eggs that came in nice clear plastic containers. I then sprayed the cartons with disinfectant and soaked the containers in very hot soapy water multiple times - have to be very careful with eggs/egg cartons due to germs & contamination. I then wrapped each flower in facial tissue (after the flower had dried well for almost ten days) and gently placed each flower in an egg section. I had to overnight my package and it was VERY EXPENSIVE - check the rates!

Hope this helps!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 7

When I packaged these and sent them across the country I lined the bottom and sides of a strong box (liquor store boxes work well because they're less likely to collapse under pressure) with one inch styrofoam. I bought slabs of sponge at walmart -- it came in 18 x 18 x 2 inches thick. I cut the sponge so it just fit inside the foam liner. For the flat elements, I just laid them on the first layer of sponge and covered them with a second layer of sponge. For the more dimensional elements -- the dolphin in particular -- I cut slits in the sponge and pushed the figure into the sponge. I covered that with another layer of sponge and finished with a final layer of foam. I shipped them overnight by Purolator and when they arrived only the tail of the stingray was broken and that was probably a result of me not having the supporting skewer go all the way to the end of the tail. It broke where the skewer ended.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1967733

If I was going to ship flowers, I would do it the same way, but I'd put a layer of sponge in the bottom of the box lined with foam, then I'd cut a hole in a second layer of sponge for each flower so each is in its own cell where it touches the sides so it can't move around. then I'd put another layer of sponge over that, top it with foam and pray.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%