Amazing Poopy

Decorating By marzipandoll Updated 11 Nov 2011 , 3:53pm by ExpressionCakes

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 3

I am shocked how many people choose the Amazing Poopy (ooh sorry did I say that?) mold over the Plastique for example.

I am just curious to see if those people have actually used both products and just prefer the putty?
I have used both. My first mold making experience gone wrong...thanks to A.P. mold purchased at Michael's! Is it even cheaper? Or it comes in smaller amount than what makeyourownmolds.com offers?

I molded some small figurines the first time. There were too many of them, very small and detailed so I decided to mold one. I picked up the putty for this project. It cured so fast I had to rush covering my figurines, missing some major details, and creating some extra air pockets. When my mold was ready, real fast (too fast in fact) it was rigid. I wanted it to be flexible so I can band it backwards and get my gumpaste figurine out easy. But I wouldn't bend. I froze it, so the gumpaste figurine gets hard inside it, and comes out intact. The mold actually froze a little. Taking the figurine out, the nose and hat of the figurine stayed inside the mold, so I had to end up adding those. I wanted to save time, and make sure I get the exact same size and detailed figures. For those reasons amazing putty totally failed me.

I am sure for a button, or a small brooch it works fine... but I use MYOM products for the smallest button too. That's what I have at hand, AND my molds last! No tearing! Oh yea and I can pour isomalt in them too!!! I can go real thin on certain projects, and I can choose which kind of silicone I will use plastique or copyflex depending what I will be molding. Many ways to save material, and get the best details.

2 replies
addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 3

Being a part-time hobby baker, more often than not price plays a huge part in my decisions on items to purchase. The Amazing Putty that I purchased at Michaels with a 50% coupon came to less than $10. It made many small molds of buttons, brooches and more. It served my purpose and I was very pleased. IT IS FLEXIBLE for easy removal. To some it may not be as good a product as others but it isn't as expensive either. I would love an Agbay cake leveler but I don't have one for the same reasons.

ExpressionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ExpressionCakes Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 3

This is great information. The price of molds where I am is crazy. And sometimes they don't have what I am looking for!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%