Friday Night Cake Club 11-11-11

Decorating By catlharper Updated 12 Nov 2011 , 6:42am by Annabakescakes

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 3:46am
post #1 of 16

Bringing to order the FNCC for 11-11-11! Who's up and what are ya'll working on tonight?

Cat

15 replies
catlharper Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 3:49am
post #2 of 16

For me it was a 6 inch carved birthday cake along with 100 minis all in a Halloween theme for a little girl turning 7 this year. I've done her b'day cakes for the past two years and it's getting fun to work with her on her new ideas! Other than that I posted our own Anniversary cake! Love the way it turned out! Hope ya'll have had a good week.

Cat

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 4:09am
post #3 of 16

Hi Cat! Sweet anniversary cake- looks great and yummy! I posted my zebra stripe, panda head and fighter plane from last week and I am exhausted! Sunday is my anniversary but I don't think there will be baking, we are going out to a nice NYC dinner which will probably be preceded by pastries from a Little Italy shop! That's right, I said preceded! I think no baking this weekend!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 4:19am
post #4 of 16

I delivered my last wedding cake of this year today. I have five under contract for next year.

Now, I'm madly baking cupcakes, cookies, a pie and getting ready to ice a cake for the dessert Truck. I have events Saturday and Sunday.

catlharper Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 4:23am
post #5 of 16

LOVE the clouds on the fighter plane cake! Inspired move! And I like how you didn't go crazy with the stripes on the Zebra cake. I think, most of the time, those are over done.

Leah, you sound busier than ever! I have one more wedding cake this year before I'm off the hook to do holiday cakes...it's a big one for me since I don't usually do more than 3 tiers and this one is 4. But it's fairly simple and I have the sugar flowers finished and, here's the best part, I only have to transport it 1 mile away...yup ONE mile. But I'll still breathe a sigh of relief when it's over 'cause then I'll know it's pretty much smooth sailing till the one I have to do for NYE. That's just super detailed and will take tons of time and then I have to transport it to SF....on NYE...yeah, what WAS I thinking when I said yes? LOL!

Cat

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 4:50am
post #6 of 16

Last night there was a bachelorette party at my house for my daughter's friend. I set it all up and stayed in a hotel. icon_smile.gif The menu included a cake I called, "The Morning After" and three dozen of the usual bridal shower type cookies. The cake was a bed with the happy couple in it, his hat askew and her veil over her face. On the bed and floor/cake board were cats, dogs, balls of yarn, balls, cowboy boots, etc... to represent their interests and pets. Today I attended the wedding for which I gladly did not do the cake. Tomorrow I'm helping set up a wedding cake and then moving my daughter. I expect to be asleep for most of Sunday, lol.

FYI: a video from the 80's of the Chippendales kept them laughing into the wee hours. icon_biggrin.gif

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 4:56am
post #7 of 16

Thanks Cat! Fun cake Cheatize! And good move to stay in a hotel!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 5:02am
post #8 of 16

I'm working on some whimsical gumpaste butterflies for a cake next weekend for a friend's daughter.

The poor kid has lots of dietary restrictions so it will have some firsts for me and is making me kind of nervous. I'm pretty confident that they'll like the design but it needs to be gluten and dairy free. Since I have NO idea how to bake gluten-free, I'll be using a mix icon_sad.gif . I need to figure out how I'm going to make dairy free chocolate frosting, too.

catlharper Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 5:14am
post #9 of 16

I used a box mix for a gluten free cake as well and this sounds like a good recipe for dairy free chocolate frosting:

http://www.recipebookonline.com/asp/viewrecipe.asp?ID=1678

hope that helps!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 5:34am
post #10 of 16

I am working on a carrot cake for my grandma's 85th birthday tomorrow. A small and simple cake for the family lunch. I had to put all my big toys away for a move/remodel so all I can work with is buttercream or cream cheese frosting. Atleast I am getting to do some deigns I have wanted to try for a while now. Happy caking icon_smile.gif

Jknoxcake2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jknoxcake2011 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 5:34am
post #11 of 16

Major fail on cake pops tonight. Baked another pair of cakes to try my new air brush machine out tomorrow.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 5:44am
post #12 of 16

Quick question. I am doing the swirled rose covered cake that has been a big hit lately. My 1M tip was eaten by the garbage disposal last week when my hubby was trying to "help". I have the 1C, 2D, 2E, 4B, and 6FT. Which would be ther best replacement? Thanks.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 5:50am
post #13 of 16

good evening......ooops morning.
i have my sisters surprise 40th birthday party tomorrow (today)
ive been baking all day. im finally starting the cakes.
both are too hmmmm not to be mentioned here....hehe.
today i made...pumpkin w/white choc chip cookies, triple chocolate gnache brownies, fudge, banana bread, cranberry bread, vegan brownies, maple butter, pumpkin spiced cream cheese, more not to be mentioned here candies, s'more ice cream sandwiches....let me check my kitchen...i think thats it.
yup beyond exhausted.
never made these kind of cakes before so i have no idea how long my night will be and how they will turn out.
cake flavors are: red velvet, lemon, and german chocolate.
just starting the first cake now.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 5:54am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I used a box mix for a gluten free cake as well and this sounds like a good recipe for dairy free chocolate frosting:

http://www.recipebookonline.com/asp/viewrecipe.asp?ID=1678

hope that helps!

Thanks, Cat! That does look like a good recipe. Hopefully my local Safeway carries the vegan margarine with shortening. I don't want to hunt all over for ingredients, nor do I want to spend any more than I have to (yikes, that gf mix is pricey!). The milk substitutes are easy to get.

BTW, my daughter is a Cat, too thumbs_up.gif. Have a great weekend!

catlharper Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 6:05am
post #15 of 16

As for the tipI have found that any "star" tip that is open and not curved in any way, will work for the rose cake but you have to make the right size roses to match the size of the tip. I would use the biggest most open tip I have. Mine are all at the shop so I couldn't tell you more.

And as for me...I'm off to bed. All day I've been working with a headache and I have to get up at the crack of dawn to transport my cakes for the weekend to the Bay Area. I'm gonna crash!

Have a great weekend!

Cat

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 6:42am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I'm working on some whimsical gumpaste butterflies for a cake next weekend for a friend's daughter.

The poor kid has lots of dietary restrictions so it will have some firsts for me and is making me kind of nervous. I'm pretty confident that they'll like the design but it needs to be gluten and dairy free. Since I have NO idea how to bake gluten-free, I'll be using a mix icon_sad.gif . I need to figure out how I'm going to make dairy free chocolate frosting, too.

There are ways to Dr. a gluten free cake as well. You can add puddings still and for yellow cake, add GOOD vanilla and use orange juice for the liquid. It doesn't make it orangy, just better. I learned it from a celiac baker's blog.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%