Any Advice On Moving Your Cake Business/pricing Adjustments?

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 12 Nov 2011 , 11:40am by indydebi

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 12:56am
post #1 of 4

I've recently moved to a new state and I'm having a tough time getting customers. I came from Hawaii, where there were soooo many bakers in the area. I'm now in Arizona and there is basically no competition in this area. You would think that would make it easier right?....WRONG!

I've lowered my prices and still, once I tell people my prices I get "oh, thats out of my price range" or "That's more than I was looking to spend".
They don't care about quality, all they want is cheap, cheap, cheap.

I'm starting to get frustrated, any advice??

3 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 3:04am
post #2 of 4

You have to start over again with market research and decide if the business is viable as-is, or you need to readjust your pricing (and maybe your quality) to the new market.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 4:04am
post #3 of 4

What are your current prices, and what is your marketing strategy?

There may be a very good reason there is no competition in your area, the local demographics may not be able to support a premium-priced cake business.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 11:40am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

There may be a very good reason there is no competition in your area, the local demographics may not be able to support a premium-priced cake business.

thumbs_up.gif As my hubby pointed out once: "There's a reason you find a Walmart on every corner, but Nordstrom's is pretty selective about where they open a store."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%