Overbaking...

Baking By mrsg1111 Updated 14 Nov 2011 , 12:21am by mrsg1111

mrsg1111 Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 3

I'm sure there is a thread for this but i'm not finding it and my search is SUPER slow today. I am baking a 13"square cake. The last time i made it i doubled the batter for the first recipe and made a single batter the second time to make 3 layers (I would torte the first cake - the second would come out perfectly level so i didn't hae to cut at all). The first one comes out drier - obviously because it has to bake longer. Is there anything i can do to fix it from coming out drier? Am i supposed to change the amount of the ingredients when doubling the batter? Please help, i have to bake another one tonight and would love to get it right!

Thank you in advance....

2 replies
carmijok Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 3

Are you putting a core or flower nail into the center? Because that helps cook the center faster. If you don't have either one take a small soup can and open both ends and after cleaning thoroughly, put whatever you use as cake release on it and insert it into the center of the cake. I've done that before and it works great. You probably also need to look into using cake strips like they sell at Hobby Lobby and Michaels to wrap around the sides of your cake so as not to have the outside cook as fast. Others use strips of moist towels. I've never done that before so I can't say as to how well it works. Rule of thumb is you need to use some kind of core for cakes over 10".

mrsg1111 Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 12:21am
post #3 of 3

Tahk you for the tip! I used the strips and it was better. Next time i will do that and use a core and see how that goes... it does make sense! Thank you again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%