Buttercream Nightmare...help!

Baking By Heatherly30 Updated 11 Nov 2011 , 9:34pm by leah_s

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 5

I use the Buttercream Dream recipe (1/2 shortening, 1/2 butter), double recipe, and have never experienced this problem. The consistency of this stuff is way off, and I need help determining the contributing factor. I used:
Kroger brand shortening (had to pitch my hi ratio during a move),
Kroger powdered sugar (which I have used before),
part Wilton Vanilla,
part Lorann Princess Cake and Cookie Emulsion
6 TB milk (calls for more)
The result is a greasy, gritty, curdley looking mess. When I scraped it out of the bowl into the garbage, I noticed a film in the bowl.
I have to make more, but I don't know what to change.
I have used this shortening before without problems. Never used the Lorann before.
Help...any ideas?

4 replies
SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 5

Is it a new container or shortening? I only ask b/c I used to use Kroger brand, but the last container I purchased was DISGUSTING. It was gritty, chunky, had solids mixed throughout... blech! I ended up buying some more for baking and just using the Kroger brand for frying stuff. It was really, really bad. I'll never use it again. I have Publix brand now and it's just fine.

Also, how much Lorann did you use? I understand they are super potent, and you can use drops rather than tsp. measurements.

Heatherly30 Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your reply Sammie!

I think you're right about the shortening. I must have the same stuff. Yuck. Unfortunately, the only other kind I have on hand is Crisco. I used it on my son's cake a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't awful. I could buy WalMart brand, but I'm even a little weary of that too.

The Lorann I have is an emulsion and thicker than the oils. I didn't use a ton of it, but I just wondered if it could change the consistency. But, I'm definitely leaning toward the shortening being the problem. That stuff is going in the garbage with that nasty buttercream. Guess I'll give Crisco another try.

Heatherly30 Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your reply Sammie!

I think you're right about the shortening. I must have the same stuff. Yuck. Unfortunately, the only other kind I have on hand is Crisco. I used it on my son's cake a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't awful. I could buy WalMart brand, but I'm even a little weary of that too.

The Lorann I have is an emulsion and thicker than the oils. I didn't use a ton of it, but I just wondered if it could change the consistency. But, I'm definitely leaning toward the shortening being the problem. That stuff is going in the garbage with that nasty buttercream. Guess I'll give Crisco another try.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 5

It's definitely the shortening. Especially if you're used to working with hi-ratio, you will be SUPER disappointed with store shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%