Cake Balls--How Do I Get Them Off The Fork??!

Baking By tarabara Updated 12 Nov 2011 , 1:03am by Crazyforcupcakes

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 7

I keep seeing all these lovely, perfect cake balls and I can't understand how to get the bottoms to look nice. Every time I make them, they kind of squish as I'm sliding them off the fork (after dipping) or marks are left by the fork tines on the bottom of one side, and the bottom surface never looks nice. How do I get them off the fork easily without leaving marks, and how do I get a nice look to the bottom, such as you'd see on a truffle? Any tips? Thank you!

6 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 7

Are you using a regular fork? I use the Wilton dipping set and although it nearly impossible to get a perfect ball, it's better than a regular fork.
I sometimes dip them with a regular pop stick and dry on styrofoam. Don't dip all the way down to the stick though or you won't be able to remove them cleanly. Once dry, remove from stick and dip just the bare part. It will still leave a mark but not so obvious. Depending if you are decorating them sometimes you can hide the spot with the decoration. Hope that helped!

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll try using the spoon technique--I actually just bought the Wilton dipping set but after seeing the perfectly round cake balls on the photo of the bouquet cake at the top of the home page today, I didn't know if the dipping set would actually do the trick or not. Fortunately, practicing cake balls isn't that much of a hardship!

JaniceBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaniceBest Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 12:55am
post #5 of 7

I use a spoon and gently push the cake ball off with a toothpick. When I'm done decorating I place each cake ball in a little paper muffin cup so the bottom is never visible.

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 1:03am
post #6 of 7

I usually decorate the part where the fork was, using sprinkles, sugars, chocolate swirls, nuts or something like that. Covers it perfectly and no one has any idea!

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 1:03am
post #7 of 7

I usually decorate the part where the fork was, using sprinkles, sugars, chocolate swirls, nuts or something like that. Covers it perfectly and no one has any idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%